Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Sample shot of PVW 23?

My friend at work and I were both discussing how we've never had PVW 23, and we're considering going down the street to The Maker's Mark Tavern @ 4th St Live...where a shot is $36.... Is it worth it to try it out that way?
    -Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Irreverent One

Re: Sample shot of PVW 23?

That's a personal decision. In my case, I'd do it, if that were available to me.

Get them to put it in a small wine glass or small snifter, not a shot glass.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

It's about the same price at Bourbon's Bistro. You may also wanna check out Jockey Silks in the Galt House.

If you just want to try it, you may want to split the pour. A standard bar pour is more than enough for two people to do a tasting off of.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

i'd take that $72 and put it towards a bottle of the PVW 23. if you don't like it, you could set up a table outside the tavern and sell shots for $25 and make your $$$ back.
    ____
    Chris

Connoisseur

If PVW23 is a bourbon you want to try then I don't think you're going to find a more inexpensive way to do it and if you do it won't be by much. Go for it, imo it's worth it.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru

If you are both going to get a shot... you are at 2/3 the bottle price (2*36 - $72 plus tax....) and you will only get 1/12th the bottle (approx)

The new bottle "B" is great. I love it. I got a smoking' deal on my first one ($165 including shipping). I like it so much I bought another at ~$185.

My recommendation is you read the reviews and if you really think you want to pull the trigger, go find one or two more buddies and buy the bottle. You will not be sorry.... as a side note, I found the "A" version more oakey... the "B" is smoother and like nectar from the gods.....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
    My friend at work and I were both discussing how we've never had PVW 23, and we're considering going down the street to The Maker's Mark Tavern @ 4th St Live...where a shot is $36.... Is it worth it to try it out that way?
    -Joe
    that is an interesting price

MI has a higher alcchol tax than KY and I know a place in Ann Arbor that will pour it for $32.00.
    ovh

Guru

I've never tasted PVW 23. However, I have some experience that may be relevant.

I like PVW 15 y/o better than PVW 20 y/o. The 20 y/o is interesting; I'm glad I had the opportunity to taste it. However, if both were equally available and priced the same, I'd drink at least 10 times more of the 15 y/o.

I like Hirsch 16 y/o (gold wax) better than Hirsch 20 y/o. I get the same flavors in both, but in the 20 y/o the wood influence has overtaken other, more subtle flavors I enjoy.

I like Elijah Craig 12 y/o better than the 18 y/o. The situation parallels the Hirsch, only more so.

Given that I seem to like younger better than older when the age is greater than 12 years, I would try PVW 23 only out of curiosity, not with the expectation that I would enjoy it more than the 20 y/o, to say nothing of the 15 y/o.

On the other hand if my preferences were the opposite in each of the situations above, then I'd probably plot and scheme until I was able to buy a bottle of the 23 y/o.

What is your general preference, if any, in regard to old versus super-old bourbon?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    I've never tasted PVW 23. However, I have some experience that may be relevant.

What is your general preference, if any, in regard to old versus super-old bourbon?
    Dave, I only have 4 bourbons in the house right now...
    WR, ETL, FRSB and Weller Antique... So I don't believe I've ever had anything over 10 years old.

_Joe
    Last edited by jeff; 04-18-2008 at 06:36. Reason: Fixed broke quote
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    that is an interesting price

MI has a higher alcchol tax than KY and I know a place in Ann Arbor that will pour it for $32.00.
    Oscar, the really interesting price is what The Brown Hotel @ 4th and
    Broadway is charging...$47!

-Joe