Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: Sample shot of PVW 23?

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Here I am with moe thread creep. The hot brown at the Brown for lunch is about $15, which is more than twice what it costs at Cunningham's at the other end of the block. It's about ten times as good. If you want to try a hot brown, and you want a really good one, spend the money and get the expensive one at the Brown.

Then run across the street to the BBC and get a PVW15.
    Good analogy, I work right next to Cunningham's and lots of folks where I work buy their lunch there. Anything from The Brown would have to be ten times as good as Cunningham's but particularly their signature creation.

I may have to get that pour of PVW 23 this week.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Rancastle View Post
    If you and your friend are attending the sampler, and or Gazebo festivities, I'll bring a bottle.
    My budget and palate would appreciate a similar offer for one of the KBF gazebos. I believe that I'll make it to the gazebo each evening of KBF this September, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    If you are both going to get a shot... you are at 2/3 the bottle price (2*36 - $72 plus tax....) and you will only get 1/12th the bottle (approx)

The new bottle "B" is great. I love it. I got a smoking' deal on my first one ($165 including shipping). I like it so much I bought another at ~$185.

My recommendation is you read the reviews and if you really think you want to pull the trigger, go find one or two more buddies and buy the bottle. You will not be sorry.... as a side note, I found the "A" version more oakey... the "B" is smoother and like nectar from the gods.....
    Spun - Since we have at least 2 or 3 bourbon fans at my workplace that idea may have promise... Just a couple of questions...Where's a good place to find bottles to decant the portions for each guy? And since the "B" version sounds really good...How do you tell on the bottle that it's the "B" Version?

Thanks, Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
    Spun - Since we have at least 2 or 3 bourbon fans at my workplace that idea may have promise... Just a couple of questions...Where's a good place to find bottles to decant the portions for each guy? And since the "B" version sounds really good...How do you tell on the bottle that it's the "B" Version?

Thanks, Joe
    Joe, On the label it will have a number and a letter designator. The bottle I have is Bottle # B189. The B is what you are looking for. The "A" is good, just not as good to me.

I got my last bottle from Julio's Liquor. PM me for details.

On decanting. I recommend you use 3-4 200 ml bottles (stuff you already have consumed so the bottles will be free) and just pour it in.

For three of you that is perfect. You get together for the first pour (about 50 ml each, and then you fill up the three 200 ml bottles and you are set.

Four of you can use 4 100 ml bottles and 4 50 ml bottles and pour less than 50 ml each on the first pour and your set.. and so on...

My guess if there is four of you trying this the first time, y'all will go through 100 ml each leaving about 350 ml to divide... after that, you just need a small funnel (I use a flask funnel).

You will all get to try a lot more of the bourbon for a much better price with extra to spare (this is how I rationalize buying bourbon all the time).

I use 50ml bottles all the time to trade back and forth with folks to taste different bourbons. I call it 50 ml tennis.... I love to get a good serve...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Joe, On the label it will have a number and a letter designator. The bottle I have is Bottle # B189. The B is what you are looking for. The "A" is good, just not as good to me.

I got my last bottle from Julio's Liquor. PM me for details.

On decanting. I recommend you use 3-4 200 ml bottles (stuff you already have consumed so the bottles will be free) and just pour it in.

For three of you that is perfect. You get together for the first pour (about 50 ml each, and then you fill up the three 200 ml bottles and you are set.

You will all get to try a lot more of the bourbon for a much better price with extra to spare (this is how I rationalize buying bourbon all the time).
    Spun-Thanks for the great info, I will take it to the guys at work tomorrow. Are you going to the Sampler next weekend?

-Joe

Guru

I wish. Tied up next weekend, but I will make it next year. I will be out in KY on June 8th and 9th doing some barrel tasting whoo-hoo

Have fun at the Sampler...