Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Sample shot of PVW 23?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
    Oscar, the really interesting price is what The Brown Hotel @ 4th and
    Broadway is charging...$47!

-Joe
    Do you get a "hot brown" with that for that price?
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Joe,

I've always been a little offended when I've been on the receiving end of what I'm about to say. The snobbery cannot be concealed.

IMO you'll appreciate, not necessarily like, super-aged bourbons (as I call them) much more a year or two from now when you have experienced and filed away the flavors of several young and suitably-aged (by my reckoning) bourbons.

To make an analogy with autos, someone whose total driving experience has been in a Chevy Aveo may not be prepared to enjoy sorting out the differences between a basic Corvette Coupe and a Corvette Z06.

The problem with that analogy is that the Corvettes are demonstrably better for some purposes than an Aveo. I'm not sure the same can be said regarding bourbon of differing ages.

In spite of the above if you may never have another chance, I suggest you give it a try.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

Before I tasted PVW 23 I would have been adamant for you to find and taste this whiskey.

I have sampled 3 different versions. It is easy for me, or anyone else that has had the same opportunity to tell you what to do, or what not to do. We are not in your shoes.

If I were, I would use this adage.

If you have a problem that can be solved by money, it's an expense, not a problem.

Spend it, Enjoy it. Good Luck
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    Joe,

I've always been a little offended when I've been on the receiving end of what I'm about to say. The snobbery cannot be concealed.

IMO you'll appreciate, not necessarily like, super-aged bourbons (as I call them) much more a year or two from now when you have experienced and filed away the flavors of several young and suitably-aged (by my reckoning) bourbons.

To make an analogy with autos, someone whose total driving experience has been in a Chevy Aveo may not be prepared to enjoy sorting out the differences between a basic Corvette Coupe and a Corvette Z06.

The problem with that analogy is that the Corvettes are demonstrably better for some purposes than an Aveo. I'm not sure the same can be said regarding bourbon of differing ages.

In spite of the above if you may never have another chance, I suggest you give it a try.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Dave, You did not offend me in the least. In fact, my original plan was to work my way up from younger to older for the very reason that you stated, that at this point I have not matured enough as a bourbon drinker to appreciate some of the subtle differences I would find in the older bourbons. My friend at work has been itching to try it and some of you on SB.com have touted PVW 23 as the gold standard so naturally I am curious about it.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

There's also quite a large contingent here that wouldn't put the "regular" Pappy 23 in their top 10 list. As someone already suggested, buy one pour and share with your friend. If you don't care for it, then try Pappy 15.

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2008

My friend at work and I were both discussing how we've never had PVW 23, and we're considering going down the street to The Maker's Mark Tavern @ 4th St Live...where a shot is $36.... Is it worth it to try it out that way?
    -Joe
    If you and your friend are attending the sampler, and or Gazebo festivities, I'll bring a bottle.
    Randy

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rancastle View Post
    If you and your friend are attending the sampler, and or Gazebo festivities, I'll bring a bottle.
    I had read a couple of posts about the sampler but I don't know much about it and I thought it was for the longer-tenured members, not newbies like me.
    -Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Guru

I had read a couple of posts about the sampler but I don't know much about it and I thought it was for the longer-tenured members, not newbies like me.
    -Joe
    You're wrong, my friend. The Sampler and gazebo are open to all bourbon loving brethren. Hope to see you there.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    You're wrong, my friend. The Sampler and gazebo are open to all bourbon loving brethren. Hope to see you there.
    Joe
    Thanks...only thing is, my friend's wife is pregnant and is due May 7th, so we'll have to play it by ear... The only restriction he gave her was "You can't have the baby on Derby Day"

-Joe

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Do you get a "hot brown" with that for that price?
    Joe
    Here I am with moe thread creep. The hot brown at the Brown for lunch is about $15, which is more than twice what it costs at Cunningham's at the other end of the block. It's about ten times as good. If you want to try a hot brown, and you want a really good one, spend the money and get the expensive one at the Brown.

Then run across the street to the BBC and get a PVW15.