Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Taster

Theoretical Bourbon bottling question

If one were to put out a bottle of Bourbon... what would be the most interesting?

I'm thinking (personally) 12-15yrs, Barrel proof, unfiltered... Not sure on Rye Bourbon or Wheat Bourbon though.

Any thoughts?

Irreverent One

Re: Theoretical Bourbon bottling question

Quote Originally Posted by tritioch View Post
    Not sure on Rye Bourbon or Wheat Bourbon though.
    I'd probably try for a four-grain.

I've had some success with 4G vattings. PVW 15 and BMH 18 rye seem very happy together, probably because both have a lot of maple.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tritioch View Post
    I'm thinking (personally) 12-15yrs, Barrel proof, unfiltered... Not sure on Rye Bourbon or Wheat Bourbon though.

Any thoughts?
    Pretty much the same as you except that I would rather it be aged 20 years or more and I'd go with a wheater. I've never had unfiltered barrel proof at that age and I like the older stuff.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Let's see...we've seen a pair of 4yo's, a 6yo, 12yo, 10yo, several 15yo's, a 16yo of bourbon at barrel proof unfiltered, then Booker's is 6-8 plus several ryes...

What is interesting then is not so much the specs, but who made it...there are several distilleries who we've not been able to get a hold of in this manner (BP, UF)...Old Forester, Barton, Turkey, MM, Woodford. Get one of these and do a BP-UF and you will have something interesting no matter what the age is...or even if it was at something other than BP (a single barrel 100 proof of Barton would be interesting)

I think at this point many of us have had damn near every age/proof combo you can think of...but not of every distillery...show me something different from a distiller that normally doesn't do something out of the ordinary.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

I would put out a copy of Old Yellowstone, unfiltered, barrel proof, aged 6-8 years.

Regards,
    Squire

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    ...I think at this point many of us have had damn near every age/proof combo you can think of...but not of every distillery...show me something different from a distiller that normally doesn't do something out of the ordinary.
    How about a MM carrying an age statement of 7 years and at a proof of 107. This would make for a more direct comparison against BT's Weller Antique. I would find it interesting.