Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Retro beer marketing

A little retro marketing.....I remember my brother in law was a Schlitz man...my dad hated it....he drank Joseph Huber or Pabst.

http://www.schlitzgusto.com/home.asp

Any Schlitz fans out there?

1973 appears to have been the high water mark.

http://www.pabst.com/mainpage.html
    http://www.pabst.com/mainpage.html

I had lost track of who owns who now...once rivals in the same shed
    ...Pabst, Schlitz, Blatz, Old Style....Colt 45 yee ha....Scheafer, Olympia.

PBR - "Today, this classic American brew has been adopted by a whole new generation of PBR drinkers. Currently, PBR is one of the fastest growing domestic beer brands. When you're this good, quality always comes through-PBR ME ASAP!"

I recall it being ok when VERY COLD.....
    Last edited by Jono; 04-20-2008 at 11:04.

Enthusiast

Re: Retro beer marketing

Schlitz isn't the only old name coming back. Check this out -

Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett

and this -

the Friendly Beer for Modern People

and this -

Stoney's of Smithton
    Last edited by Jazzhead; 04-20-2008 at 16:16.

Guru

Back in the day, I did enjoy Schlitz. Also Falstaff. And Carling Black Label. I never really cared much for PBR, but it was drinkable.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

This brings me back! My father was a Schlitz drinker (nay, fanatic) in a land of Bud fans. I remember well the change in formula -- something to do with enzymes to accelerate the brewing process -- and an ill-advised ad campaign that my dad called "Drink Schlitz or I'll kill you" that were a one-two knockout blow to Schlitz sales in the 70's.

Time to dust off all of the "Schlitzerland" breweriana in my attic from his collection!

(And Tim, he switched his allegiance to Schlitz from Falstaff...)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Back in the day, I did enjoy Schlitz. Also Falstaff. And Carling Black Label. I never really cared much for PBR, but it was drinkable.

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    the change in formula -- something to do with enzymes to accelerate the brewing process -- and an ill-advised ad campaign that my dad called "Drink Schlitz or I'll kill you" that were a one-two knockout blow to Schlitz sales in the 70's.
    ...)

Schlitz was big down south and at one time they were the number 2 brewery nation wide. It was my first favorite before the brewing change.
    I to did not care for Pabst.

Hey Tim, do you remember another one popular down south, Country Club Malt Liquor?
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post

Hey Tim, do you remember another one popular down south, Country Club Malt Liquor?
    I do remember it and I had a few of them from time to time, but it too was not a favorite. It was very nearly tasteless. Which is probably why some people preferred it.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Jazzhead...Stony's certainly has "eye appeal".....I thinks these old brewers are waking up slowly to the call for quality as they see micros popping up and the premium prices being paid. Competition is a good thing.

OscarV....is Stroh's still a favorite in Detroit?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

OscarV....is Stroh's still a favorite in Detroit?
    The funny thing about Stroh's is that it never was a big seller in Detroit after the 1950's. In MI Stroh's was #1 in the '50's, Pabst in the '60's, Miller in the '70's and Budweiser since the '80's. Now Stroh's is hard to find. I used to like it out of the barrel.
    It was huge on U of M campus in the '70's because of all the out of state kids have never seen it.
    Now we roll out more barrel's of Natural Light for the frat-boys than any other brand, but the store owners scratch off the labels and take off the caps indentifying it as Natty Light and sell it for the more costly Bud Light.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Jazzhead...Stony's certainly has "eye appeal".....I thinks these old brewers are waking up slowly to the call for quality as they see micros popping up and the premium prices being paid. Competition is a good thing.
    Stoney's is real easy to drink. I try to get a sleeve of cans when I'm in the right part of Pennsy to find it. I'm not sure it's all that different from regular Iron City, though. The original owners closed down the brewery but still run the company from Smithton, with brewing contracted out to Pittsburgh Brewing. It's still being brewed locally, and I guess that counts for something.

My regular brews are Yuengling Premium and Straubs. Believe it or not, there's one bar in downtown Philly, the Society Hill Hotel, that serves Straubs on tap! Here's a link to the Straubs site - http://www.straubbeer.com.

Pennsy remains a treasure and a museum piece for the independent, pre-Prohibition brewer. It's not hard to drink local when the product's so good!

Guru

Oscar,

Do you remember Sebewaing Beer from the Thumb?

I had a few of those in the day. It had a ring necked pheasant on the label and was affectionately called pheasant pi$$ by the locals.

I liked Stroh's and Stroh's Bock and toured the brewery a couple of times. There was a time at the end of the tour you get about 45 minutes in the bar with an open tap.

In later years the Frankenmuth Bock was a great drink until a tornado took out the brewery.

Ah! Memory lane.

Will