Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Post Pa State Stores Playing games with customers I hate them

Two weeks ago I bought the last bottle of Wild Turkey Russels Reserve Rye whiskey which is no sale till Monday. The store told me when I asked when will more come in early next week well I called last night and was told even though they have 250 cases on Stock at their warehouse no more will come in till after the sale is over.

What great customer suport you go in the beginning of the month they have very little and then they do not stock any more till the sale is safely over! I drove to another town and got their last two bottles as I really like this Rye but I am getting so sick of the stuff these People pull.

The day I buy the last bottle first week of June they say no trouble the warehouses have 250 cases we will get more, but a week and 1/2 later they have the nerve to tell you none will come in till after the sale is over, boy is that some great customer service.

And to top it off they will no longer have Wild Turkey Rare breed Bourbon the Pa stores just plain Suck.
    Dave Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It Seems All The Nicest People Drink Old Hickory
    America's Most magnificent Bourbon

Guru

Re: Pa State Stores Playing games with customers I hate them

I am so glad I do not live in a state with a liqour control board. One thing IL has done right is to stay out of the liqour business....well, not really as the distributorships make for great patronage....but independent stores can compete on product and price....including grocery stores. Hmm, this has lessons and echos of another thread elsewhere.

http://www.state.il.us/LCC/
    The Illinois Liqour Commission just deals with licensing issues etc.
    Last edited by Jono; 06-26-2009 at 07:09.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I am so glad I do not live in a state with a liqour control board. One thing IL has done right is to stay out of the liqour business....well, not really as the distributorships make for great patronage....but independent stores can compete on product and price....including grocery stores. Hmm, this has lessons and echos of another thread elsewhere.

http://www.state.il.us/LCC/
    The Illinois Liqour Commission just deals with licensing issues etc.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I was looking for an air filter for one of my chain saws. Kline Equipment in Galesburg didn't have one but their store in Monmouth did. They offered to have it shipped from their store in Monmouth so I could pick it up the next day. I've never asked a chain liquor store if they would do this, ship bottles from one store to another, but that is the kind of thing that can and does happen in a free market system. There is an economic incentive to take care of the customer, especially if you're a regular patron.

Trippah and Admin

If I want a bottle of X and my local state store does not have it in stock, I call Columbus and they will either tell me who else in my area has it or they will schedule a case delivery to my local store. Stores get two deliveries a week from the local warehouse, so the process is moderately fast.

PA has a pretty whiz-bang site so it is easy to find what is in stock, whereas Ohio has a text file on their site so there's no way to find what is stocked locally.

PA has the RR Rye on sale with empty shelves but don't want to ship warehoused sock to the stores? To me, that means that they have last years allocation on sale and want it gone before shipping the new year/label to the stores. New label/old label combinations on the shelf are not good merchandising and the general public will probably buy the new one and leave the old label there to languish. Control states don't want that.

Dave, were the bottles that you picked up the new style label or the old style??
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Post Re: Pa State Stores Playing games with customers I hate them

Scott as far as I can see this was new lot style Bottles and sometimes they play this game of only putting so much at each store on sale then no more till the price goes back to noraml end of the month. The clerk did not want to hear about it told me come in begining of next Month you can get all you want at the regular price!

All They care about in Pa is Wine! So many times we have fought to get this system gone but the Union clerks win everytime.
    And this is what we are stuck with. Last yr we were suppose to get 4 Roses and it still is not here and Now they are discontinuing Wild Turkey Rare Breed too. And on the things you can order you most times have to buy a case to get them and most people can't aford that.
    Dave Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments

Trippah and Admin

According to Chuck Cowdery, control states are supposed to get the 4R products last. Since they hit Ohio in July, PA may be next. What if that's the product destined to take up the Rare Breed shelf space?

The one thing that I've noticed about the PA stores is that they all seem to have shelf space dedicated to the same items which is different than how Ohio stocks the shelves. That's why the discontinue a product to "make room for another" concept seems odd to me.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Unless I'm missing something, what Dave is describing doesn't seem that much different than what private stores do all the time: put items on sale for a limited period of time and with limited quantities.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

I've never asked a chain liquor store if they would do this, ship bottles from one store to another, but that is the kind of thing that can and does happen in a free market system. There is an economic incentive to take care of the customer, especially if you're a regular patron.
    That would be illegal in the State of Illinois. Each store has its own license, and each store has to work within the 3 tier system. Even if it's one chain, they can't transfer store to store. Stores have to get there goods from a distributor.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    That would be illegal in the State of Illinois. Each store has its own license, and each store has to work within the 3 tier system. Even if it's one chain, they can't transfer store to store. Stores have to get there goods from a distributor.
    That figures.........Well, at least ILL. isn't a control state.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, what Dave is describing doesn't seem that much different than what private stores do all the time: put items on sale for a limited period of time and with limited quantities.
    Unless an advertisement explicitly states "while supples last", aren't most private stores in most states subject to some kind of "rain-check" rule?

I don't know, just asking.......