Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Evan Williams Black -- Wall Street Journal --

I have not had EW Black...but have EWSB....I assume some similarity? Maybe not as smooth.

http://www.evanwilliams.com/about_brands.shtml

Trippah and Admin

First, good for you Bettye Jo. Now that the secret is out, will the line be able to keep up?

Who the heck decided that JB white was a mid-market bourbon? With the price listed at 21 bucks, I hope that the bottle that he bought had a handle built in to it or was at least a liter.

There are two EW expressions available in Ohio...one is the EWSB and the other is listed as Evan Williams 86 proof and no age statement. Is this the EW black in the comparison test? I have only found a listing for EW black as a 90 proofer and I'd like to add a bottle of the proper stuff to my collection (just to be sure that Bettye Jo stays busy).
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    ...There are two EW expressions available in Ohio...one is the EWSB and the other is listed as Evan Williams 86 proof and no age statement. Is this the EW black in the comparison test? I have only found a listing for EW black as a 90 proofer and I'd like to add a bottle of the proper stuff to my collection (just to be sure that Bettye Jo stays busy).
    They don't update that list very regularly, do they? Yes, the 86-proof Evan is the black-label -- which used to be 90 proof, but several years ago, and used to be 7 years old, up to a couple of years ago.
    Nonetheless, while it was once better, it's still a steal at its price.
    Tim

I have recently come to the conclusion that Evan Williams Black Label is a very good value. Now, this past week I was vacationing in South Carolina and I found 100 proof, white label, Evan Williams Bottled in Bond, and it was only $14.99 for a full liter! A magnificent bourbon, much fuller flavored than the black label (which I like), and at a fantastic price. I only wish they sold it in Michigan, where I live.

Trippah and Admin

Sweet, thanks for the clarification Tim. Although I don't need to add any more bottles to my collection now, I know what to grab if I just happen to cruise by the liquor store and my car stalls out as I cut through the parking lot.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_Ricchi View Post
    I have recently come to the conclusion that Evan Williams Black Label is a very good value. Now, this past week I was vacationing in South Carolina and I found 100 proof, white label, Evan Williams Bottled in Bond, and it was only $14.99 for a full liter! A magnificent bourbon, much fuller flavored than the black label (which I like), and at a fantastic price. I only wish they sold it in Michigan, where I live.
    We keep a bottle of EW around as our mixin' bourbon, most often used when we have a party.

Bought the last one in late March, still unopened. If my crystal ball had been working, I'd known to wait until May, because the OLCC is running a "Monthly Special" on it, dropping the price from $11.45 to $9.95 (750ml).

I also like the BIB (WL) version; however the closest store that has that is 45mi away, in Eugene. I have to be down there for some other purpose, because the cost of the gas to get there would more than double it's cost (from $11.95 to over $25) and I sure don't like it that much.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Who the heck decided that JB white was a mid-market bourbon? With the price listed at 21 bucks, I hope that the bottle that he bought had a handle built in to it or was at least a liter.
    You probably don't experience this in Ohio but here in Illinois, while the regular price for Jim Beam white might be around $16/750ml, it's almost always on deal somewhere for much less.

The standard EW black label is now NAS and 86 proof, but still the best value in its class.

Disciple

Here in Ohio, our JB white is also 16.00/750 thanks to the state of Ohio raising it 2.00 a bottle on Feb. 1st. Unfortunately for us, we don't get the benefit of a sale elsewhere as it is either on sale throughout the state or not at all. The joys of living in a control state!

Thomas

Trippah and Admin

Well, I went to the grocery store on the way home from work and when I drove past the beverage store, the car pulled in to a space and stopped dead.

Since I was there, I figured that I may as well go in and pick up a bottle of the EW black. I think it was 11.25 for a 750ml and I can't wait until I get done with my work stuff so that I can crack it open.

Disciple

Betty Jo Not only do I really like Evan Williams Black But I just can't get enough of their awesome Whiskey Egg Nog it is the BEST! Bought 19 bottles this fall have 9 1/2 left it will always be my Christmas and after ward treat! The Bourbon flavor just jumps out. The Pa Dutch stuff they have is horrible so I hope our State stores don't decide to only carry that brand some day.
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    -------------------------------------------------