Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 243 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Last night picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18yo. Never had it before.

Poured a couple of ounces into a port glass when I got home.

Wow. Except for a hint of peat, the nose could be that of a good brandy or cognac. As for the taste, a single word - balance - sums it up. Peat...but not too much. Sherry...but not too much. Oak...but not too much. Malt...but not too much. If Goldilocks was a whisky drinker, this would be her Scotch.

Super smooth finish. Great stuff. Paul Pacult calls this "the best whisky in the world". I wouldn't go that far, because there are a number of bourbons I prefer to this, but it's definitely the best Scotch I've ever had.
    I knew I'd seen a positive review somewhere before , Well I'm convinced it's great whiskey! You still think it's the best scotch?
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I knew I'd seen a positive review somewhere before , Well I'm convinced it's great whiskey! You still think it's the best scotch?
    I don't know if it's the best Scotch, only the best I've had. I sampled maybe 20-25 single malts, so I'm not an expert.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

I don't know if it's the best Scotch, only the best I've had. I sampled maybe 20-25 single malts, so I'm not an expert.
    I think the "best" scotch is also sort of relative. For me, the best scotch is the one I happen to be in the mood for!

Though I will certainly take this moment to plug for Highland Park-- I went through a bottle of the 12-year all too quickly... and now it isn't even available in my state anymore. The words to describe Highland Park are "Well-Rounded"-- great for when you can't quite decide what you are in the mood for.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

I agree with both of you, of course 'best' is what suites your tastes at the moment etc... I must say the HP 18 was one of, if not, the smoothest scotch I've ever had. I've only had 2 drams thus far and will need to spend more time with it but it is a very subtle scotch for sure. There were no explosive flavors that I often enjoy in some of the other Island malts (Talisker or Lagavulin). So while I agree it is well rounded, I found myself just slightly wanting for a bit more flavor. Perhaps it's also that I have a preference for higher proof whisk(e)y's as well.

To be sure, I am mightily and absolutely impressed with this offering. I was just a bit surprised that it didn't share the heavy smoke and peat with it's other island neighbors.

Irreverent One

I found myself just slightly wanting for a bit more flavor. Perhaps it's also that I have a preference for higher proof whisk(e)y's as well.
    For the same reasons I'm planning to try a vatting with a'bunadh, probably 3:1 HP:AA. Depending on how that goes I may also try 2:1.

I was just a bit surprised that it didn't share the heavy smoke and peat with it's other island neighbors.
    I think there's only one other distillery on Orkney: Scapa, and it's been shut down since 1994.

Orkney is at the northern tip of Scotland. The other islands (Islay, Skye, etc) are in the Irish sea.

Even on Islay, which has nine distilleries, it's only Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig that go for an extreme style.

It's been said here by others, and I'll repeat: there's as much stylistic variation within a region as between them. Knowing that Old Glengargle is in Speyside or Islay is just trivia (unless you're planning a tour, of course).
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

For the same reasons I'm planning to try a vatting with a'bunadh, probably 3:1 HP:AA. Depending on how that goes I may also try 2:1..
    Wow, you must have read my mind. I was planning the exact same vatting myself! haha great minds.... I was thinking of a simple 1:1 and also trying it with a little Talikser 18 to see where that goes....

Let me know how turns out as I won't be able to test it out until later tonight.

Taster

Highland park distillery is listed as being from Orkney Islanld. Scapa has been operated on again and off again thru the years and not marketed very much. These both are according to the 5th edition of M. Jackson's book. I think Scapa could get much more popular if only the owners would actually push it.

Advanced Taster

Scapa 14 is an excellent underrated malt

Virtuoso

Well I was really missing my peated Islays/Island malts tonight so I started with Caol Isla 12 and then moved onto Talisker 18. I think the Talisker 18 is my favorite peated. Just an unbelievable whisk(e)y!

Irreverent One

Wow, you must have read my mind. I was planning the exact same vatting myself! haha great minds.... I was thinking of a simple 1:1 and also trying it with a little Talikser 18 to see where that goes....

Let me know how turns out as I won't be able to test it out until later tonight.
    Well then you'll be trying it before me. I was feeling self-indulgent tonight (long week, long day) so I poured some Hirsch 16 BW.
    Scott

- Serge Storms