Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 243 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Well then you'll be trying it before me. I was feeling self-indulgent tonight (long week, long day) so I poured some Hirsch 16 BW.
    I guess we're both gun-shy on that one. I ended up ignoring the HP in favor of my peated Island/Islays. How's your Hirsch? I have a few GF bottles bunkered. The BW is legendary.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Tonight it was Aberlour A'Bunadh followed by some Hiighland Park 18. Great contrast here. I was really able to taste all the flavors HP had to offer, some smoke, light peat, and a little spice. Very smooth and chewy and I'm mightily impressed!

Advanced Taster

Tonight was: Aberlour 15, Jameson 12, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Old Pulteney 12 and Teachers Highland cream.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Tonight was: Aberlour 15, Jameson 12, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Old Pulteney 12 and Teachers Highland cream.

Very nice Gov, sounds like a good evening

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I guess we're both gun-shy on that one. I ended up ignoring the HP in favor of my peated Island/Islays. How's your Hirsch? I have a few GF bottles bunkered. The BW is legendary.
    Not really gun-shy, just didn't feel like doing that eve.

The Hirsch was great. It's the last of four bottles purchased at the end of 1994. It's now about 1/3 full.

Last night we had dinner over at a friend's. Took the HP 18 with me, along with '07 Stagg and a short cigar (AF Hemingway "Short Story").

Before dinner drinks were "sidecars" (Salignac cognac, Cointreau and fresh squeezed lemon juice). Dinner was plank-grilled salmon, brown & wild rice pilaf, and Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc.

After dinner the host, another guest and I went out to the deck, where I and the guest had HP and the host had some Grand Marnier. I smoked the SS and the host his pipe. The guest, a Scotch drinker, was mightily impressed by the HP.

After that was dessert: fresh-baked marionberry pie, with which I had some GTS (suitably diluted, of course).
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

I had some pretty good drinks last night as well:

The Glendronach Original 12
    Gibson's Finest Rare 18
    Longmorn 15
    Talisker 10

Topped off with some really potent Purple Kush.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Not really gun-shy, just didn't feel like doing that eve.

The Hirsch was great. It's the last of four bottles purchased at the end of 1994. It's now about 1/3 full.

Last night we had dinner over at a friend's. Took the HP 18 with me, along with '07 Stagg and a short cigar (AF Hemingway "Short Story").

Before dinner drinks were "sidecars" (Salignac cognac, Cointreau and fresh squeezed lemon juice). Dinner was plank-grilled salmon, brown & wild rice pilaf, and Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc.

After dinner the host, another guest and I went out to the deck, where I and the guest had HP and the host had some Grand Marnier. I smoked the SS and the host his pipe. The guest, a Scotch drinker, was mightily impressed by the HP.

After that was dessert: fresh-baked marionberry pie, with which I had some GTS (suitably diluted, of course).
    Man that description made me very hungry. The HP is very remarkable indeed. However it is a subtle scotch and does not follow well after some of the more in-your-face peated Islays. Last night it followed the a'bunadh and the contrast allowed me to finally pick up the light peat and smoke that I couldn't taste the other night because it had followed in the footsteps of Talisker and Lagavulin.

Taster

Back in town after a trip out of the country- a bit of Glenfarclas 12, one of the best values in malt. Great balance between malt, sherry and gentle peat...

Virtuoso

First tasting of The Balvenie. Started with The Balvenie 12 and now The Balvenie 15 SB. These are both quite good. The 12 reminds me of the a'bunach because of the sherry wood and the 15 reminds me a bit of Highland Park 18 (but less smoke and peat) because of how smooth it is. Really quite exceptional Speysides.

Connoisseur

Yeah, The Balvenie Single Barrel is surprisingly subtle, yet at the same time quite rich.

I'm finally being won over by Islay malts. Tried Laphroaig 10 last night and rather liked it. Then I tried Lagavulin 16 for the second time. The first time I really hated it, but last night, wow! One of the best I have tasted! Unbelievably full, creamy malt in the midst of all that smoke. Still the most medicinal-tasting whisky I have had, but the richness of the malt balances it out quite nicely.