Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 35 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Add to that some Macallan 12 and a nice pour of Talisker 18.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Add to that some Macallan 12 and a nice pour of Talisker 18.
    I would love to try that Old Pulteny 12... and that Talisker 18...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    I would love to try that Old Pulteny 12... and that Talisker 18...

The Old Pulteney 12 is underpriced imho, a great pour always. The Talisker 18 is currently at the top (and has been in top 2 since my first taste) of my ever changing list of favorites. I highly recommend. Smoke, peat, spice... mmmm.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LeoDLion View Post
    Have you tried McClellan Islay? Its a young Bowmore. Its my staple single malt and the price is same as the Highland. Of course its not as good as a regular Bowmore. I do have some in a 5-liter oak barrel maturing nicely.

About a year ago or so I drank a whole bottle of this over a couple of weeks. I was going through a "working class whiskies only" phase. It was only 19$, but I suspect that it is worth paying for the extra aging when it comes to islays. I've been reluctant since then to buy a whole bottle of something like Laphroaig. I have a bunch of Compass Box Peat Monster minis whith which I'm trying to nurse myself back. I think I would take the blend Whitehorse over it.

Connoisseur

Glenfiddich 15. Slightly grassy, fruity, complex, with a long malt middle. Stupendous.

Regards,

Enthusiast

Good lord, help me...

I won't be going out for the entirety of next week. I just splurged on a bottle of Balvenie 17-year Rum Cask.

So, here's my thoughts so far.

Appearance: Rich copper, bordering amber, medium-light viscosity.

Nose: Definitely ample portions of American Oak. Vanilla and butterscotch so thick you can cut them with a knife. Also a lighter, tangy sweetness-- cola, perhaps?

Palate: Smooth and elegant, as Balvenie tends to be. Lots and lots of American Oak, though, showing through with a cool spiciness, like mint. A pleasant, but not overbearing, sweetness overall. The intense sweetness in the nose does not really translate to the palate-- a surprising contrast. Some of the lighter sweetness, like the vanilla and butterscotch, do show through, however. A few subsequent sips eventually reveals a hint of ginger.

Finish: Medium-long. Surprisingly dry and spicy. Star Anise, licorice root, and even caramelized fennel linger in the mouth.

Comments: Definitely a digestif, as it is still a little too full-bodied to drink before or during dinner. Reading the reviews in Whisky magazine, I was expecting a sweeter palate than what I experienced-- not a disappointment, but actually much more interesting. The key word here is "spice." This is like the gingerbread cookie of Scotch whisky-- not as sweet as the snickerdoodles, but with a dry spiciness that makes you come back for more.

Many reviews also criticize this expression for being too oaky and not letting the signature Balvenie malt character shine through. On this, I think I would have to agree, as the "honeyed" taste of Balvenie was difficult to sort out from the abundance of spice and oak.

Has Balvenie had better drams? A few. But not many.

Has Speyside produced better drams? Only VERY few. And I'd be hard-pressed to name them.

Connoisseur

Your notes don't match mine very well at all. While I thought it was an admirable effort I thought Balvenie has put out better finished drams. The 14 yo RumWood and the PortWood 21 easily come to mind. I'll revisit it later this month and see if anything has changed.
    Illuminati in training

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Your notes don't match mine very well at all. While I thought it was an admirable effort I thought Balvenie has put out better finished drams. The 14 yo RumWood and the PortWood 21 easily come to mind. I'll revisit it later this month and see if anything has changed.
    That might not be a bad thing, seeing as how everyone's palate is different. Spice notes and dark, earthy notes, especially roots, tend to jump out at me first. I really have to look hard for fruity notes (which is why I was so surprised I picked them up so quickly in my Glenmorangie La Santa), and lighter herbal notes (I never considered Lowlands to be "grassy" tasting, even though every other reviewer uses that term).

Not to mention our bottles might come from different batches, and there is always a bit of variation from batch to batch...

Virtuoso

Macallan 12 to start tonight. Maybe some Redbreast afterward.

Virtuoso

The redbreast 12 was very nice now I'm hitting some Canadian Club 12... very sweet... too sweet really.