Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 46 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Started with Laga 16, Ardberg 10, and now back to finish off my bottle of Laga.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Started with a small pour of Talisker 10. Going back into the house for another, a double this time. Just discovered this whisky on Christmas and I really dig it.

Cheers!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    How do you find the Portwood 21?
    I found it to be a very smooth and flavorful whisky. It has the usual Balvenie profile of honey and oak. The 21 years in the cask with port wood finishing gives it a fruit and nuts cereal background. I probably would never have bought this because of the ridiculously high price ($160 from an independent liqour store)

I bought it to celebrate the birth of my first grand daughter in July 2007. I only take it out for a three finger glass on my grandbaby's birthday but this last sip was just because I felt it was time.

I like Balvenie. They are close to purests when it comes to making whisky and I suppose the additional time and labor justifies the price. I wouldn't say the taste experience is better than a lot of very well done single malts for half the price.

In the end, it's a special occassion drink for me because of the association to a wonderful life event more than the simple taste and warm glow that follows.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I have enjoyed the Glenmorangie Portwood Finish in the past. Would it and the Portwood 21 be similar?
    Hi joe! yes I think the Glenmorangie and Balvenie portwood finished whiskies do have similarities. The Balvenie has a more aggressive oak tannin component to me. Both had a sweet nuttiness to them. I think the recent expressions of Glenmorangie's Quinta Ruban is better and goes for around $70 (or more).
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Virtuoso

Started the evening with a very nice pour of Highland Park 18 yr old. A real stunner. Better than the 12 no doubt, but not by leaps and bounds (I mean to say that the 12 yr from memory is a remarkable whisky in its own right).

The 18 is remarkably smooth and spicy with the smoke and peat a bit more subdued than the other Island malts I crave. It opens on the palate with a honeyed sweetness which gradually recedes to let the spice tingle and linger through the long finish. I could drink this all night long....

Virtuoso

After finishing that HP18 all too quickly, I've moved on to Ardberg's 10 year old. A lot more peat here, slightly more smoke perhaps and a touch spicier it seems. It's making a valiant follow-up to the HP18. I'm craving some Talisker 18 at the moment (I killed my bottle last week and haven't replaced as of yet). I think it would have made for a better follow-up.

Connoisseur

I decided to try my Arran Malt Tokaji finish at its full strength of 110 proof. I must say that I like it a lot at this strength. Syrupy sweet with a big spicy kick, then a sweet-and-sour finish. The nose isn't as nice as when it's watered but it definitely delivers on the palate.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I decided to try my Arran Malt Tokaji finish at its full strength of 110 proof. I must say that I like it a lot at this strength. Syrupy sweet with a big spicy kick, then a sweet-and-sour finish. The nose isn't as nice as when it's watered but it definitely delivers on the palate.
    That sounds very interesting to me. What is "Tokaji Finish"? What kind of cask is that?

Finished the night myself with some Glenlivet Nadurra

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    That sounds very interesting to me. What is "Tokaji Finish"? What kind of cask is that?
    It's dessert wine from Eastern Europe. Called Tokay over here. Awful stuff as I recall.

Finishing up the night with a nice, big pour of Talisker. Just seems right.

Cheers!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Luna56 View Post
    It's dessert wine from Eastern Europe. Called Tokay over here. Awful stuff as I recall.

Finishing up the night with a nice, big pour of Talisker. Just seems right.

Cheers!
    Thanks Luna56! Enjoy that Talisker!