Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 51 of 243 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Yeah, The Macallan Cask Strength is one big tasty whisky.
    I wish I knew someone who liked it in my area about two years ago. I bought a bottle and didn't care for it at all. Way too much sherry. I ended up dumping it. It would have only served as a reminder to the wife how much I spent on something I didn't drink. I actually bought it because I thought the sherry influence would be comparable to what I had experienced from Irish whiskeys. Boy, somehow it was totally different, sharp, like when you burp up in your mouth. I hope I didn't gross anyone out with that description.

Guru

"I ended up dumping it."

Ouch! Too bad you did not enjoy it. It seems people either love or hate sherry barrel aged whiskey. I have enjoyed Macallan as one of my first single malts.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I wish I knew someone who liked it in my area about two years ago. I bought a bottle and didn't care for it at all. Way too much sherry. I ended up dumping it. It would have only served as a reminder to the wife how much I spent on something I didn't drink. I actually bought it because I thought the sherry influence would be comparable to what I had experienced from Irish whiskeys. Boy, somehow it was totally different, sharp, like when you burp up in your mouth. I hope I didn't gross anyone out with that description.
    It really is better at around 86 proof. The cask-strength MacAllan does have a ton of Sherry taste.

It's also worth noting that the Irish whiskeys you're referring to (I'm guessing 12-year or 18-year Jameson) still use a lot of American Oak, with only a smaller portion being Spanish.

Secondly, MacAllan is one of the few distilleries that can actually get their hands on ex-sherry casks-- most "Sherry Matured" whisk(e)y nowadays are not matured in Spanish Oak casks used for Sherry exactly once, but used several times. High grade ex-sherry casks are difficult to get a hold of nowadays, hence the rise in popularity of French Oak, Port Pipes, and Madeira Drums.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    It really is better at around 86 proof. The cask-strength MacAllan does have a ton of Sherry taste.

It's also worth noting that the Irish whiskeys you're referring to (I'm guessing 12-year or 18-year Jameson) still use a lot of American Oak, with only a smaller portion being Spanish.

Secondly, MacAllan is one of the few distilleries that can actually get their hands on ex-sherry casks-- most "Sherry Matured" whisk(e)y nowadays are not matured in Spanish Oak casks used for Sherry exactly once, but used several times. High grade ex-sherry casks are difficult to get a hold of nowadays, hence the rise in popularity of French Oak, Port Pipes, and Madeira Drums.
    That's informative.

I never understood why such a different "sherry" influence. The sherry influence in Jameson 12, 18, Bushmills 10 and Redbreast 12 is soft and fruity where that that I tasted in the Mcallan was sharp and not to my liking.

Virtuoso

Back home tonight after a grueling ten day trip away from home. A nice, big pour of Talisker was my reward for my labors and is greatly appreciated.

Got the flu while traveling and after I healed up some I decided to try to locate some good bourbon to no avail. In a decent restaurant in the Los Angeles area the best whisky I could find was Macallan 12, an utter disappointment.

Back home with the Talisker is really working for me now though, and all prior miseries are forgotten.

Cheers!

Advanced Taster

Macallan is an aquired taste

Virtuoso

Clynelish 14 and now Bowmore 17
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Advanced Taster

Yamazaki 12 yrs old. Lemony, ginger, zesty, a bit of smoke, fruity. Its very nice and a great change of pace

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Yamazaki 12 yrs old. Lemony, ginger, zesty, a bit of smoke, fruity. Its very nice and a great change of pace
    Sounds interesting!

Mcclelland's Speyside. Cheap! Not bad, though. I could see myself buying it again for a daily dram.

Connoisseur

We had a dregs party tonight . First we killed a bottle of Redbrest. Then we finished the Glenlevit Naddurra, then we finished with an Old Ballantraun (a peated Tomintoul) not available in the US (darn it!) Just about a dram apiece in each of the bottles. Then a supper of deer marinated in Kaluha, rum, and bourbon served over noodles with port wine. You wonder why I'm fat?