Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 66 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not alone in my initial assessment. I had read all these wonderful things about Ardbeg 10 on the internet and in Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. So you can imagine my surprise when I tipped the bottle for that first pour and out came something akin to diluted pee. And when I tasted it there was no heft at all--the whisky's appearance matched its body. I absolutely LOVE Lagavulin too and was looking for that kind of experience with the Ardbeg. But having spent nearly $50 (tax included) on the bottle, I owe it to myself to keep trying, though I don't see myself ever running out to buy another bottle when so many other killer whiskies can be had for the same price.
    Compared to Lag or Laph, Ardbeg is lighter in color, however the peat is there in abundance. I still find the 10 a little less satisfying than other expressions. If you were lucky enough to find a 17, 21 or Lord of the Isles you might change your opinion. Comparing the 10 you'd have to compare to a Lagavulin 12 (Which I personally don't consider Lagavulin) or one of Robert Hicks' modern "dumbed down" Laphroaig expressions. He hates that term, but it is my opinion of what he has done to one of the worlds finest whiskys. However the subject is Ardbeg. Try another expression before you give up on it. The beast is a good one, and it is much more affordable than those mentioned previously.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Compared to Lag or Laph, Ardbeg is lighter in color, however the peat is there in abundance. I still find the 10 a little less satisfying than other expressions. If you were lucky enough to find a 17, 21 or Lord of the Isles you might change your opinion. Comparing the 10 you'd have to compare to a Lagavulin 12 (Which I personally don't consider Lagavulin) or one of Robert Hicks' modern "dumbed down" Laphroaig expressions. He hates that term, but it is my opinion of what he has done to one of the worlds finest whiskys. However the subject is Ardbeg. Try another expression before you give up on it. The beast is a good one, and it is much more affordable than those mentioned previously.
    Thanks for the advice, Stu. I'm sure you're right about the other expressions. I guess I was just a bit let down after all the build up about the Ardbeg 10. There's certainly plenty of peat, as you mentioned, I'm just not sure what some folks are talking about when they refer to the 10's "richness," "fullness," "roundness," etc. I never give up on a whisky though after just one try, so I'll be back at it tonight.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Ardbeg tasting round two: Still puzzled as hell about the whisky's lack of body, but starting to really get into the intensity of the peat and smoke. This time around I was able to get more peat than simply an overload of smoke. And, more importantly, some malt sweetness was shining through in the finish which I hadn't picked up the first time around. Speaking of finish, after my two little pours last night I woke up this morning and my mouth tasted like I had been smoking cigars or licking ash trays, such is the power of Ardbeg's peat smoke in the glass. It's the whisky that just keeps on finishing!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Try just one ice cube or a tablespoon of water along with the Ardbeg for round three.
    Illuminati in training

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    after my two little pours last night I woke up this morning and my mouth tasted like I had been smoking cigars or licking ash trays, such is the power of Ardbeg's peat smoke in the glass. It's the whisky that just keeps on finishing!
    Well said, unclebunk, well said.

Has anybody here honestly on their first taste of Ardbeg 10 actually enjoyed it? Has anybody not thought there had been a mistake, that somehow Mop n' Glow got into the bottle before they topped it off with the whisky? Or that they were reusing bottles that had been used as ashtrays at a cigar party?

But stick with it. In my case, I never dump whisky no matter what and by the second pour the second night I was a convert. Weird. Still tastes the same, but somehow now it's a favorite at my house.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post

Has anybody here honestly on their first taste of Ardbeg 10 actually enjoyed it? Has anybody not thought there had been a mistake, that somehow Mop n' Glow got into the bottle before they topped it off with the whisky? Or that they were reusing bottles that had been used as ashtrays at a cigar party.
    My sentiments exactly. I actually thought I got a bad bottle after reading so many reviews referring to "mouth-filling richness," "luxurious texture," etc. All I got was smoke and a complete absence of body.

Guru

But stick with it. In my case, I never dump whisky no matter what and by the second pour the second night I was a convert. Weird. Still tastes the same, but somehow now it's a favorite at my house.
    This is precisely what happened with me. It was my second pour on the second night when I finally "got it" so to speak. I was suddenly able to taste some of the malty sweetness and to look beyond the thinness of the whisky. I actually went to bed that night looking forward to sampling some more the following night.

I'm happy to report that round three last night was thoroughly enjoyable but...I'm afraid I still think Ardbeg 10 is overrated. I can't speak about the other expressions, having never tasted them, but Ardbeg 10 is simply too one dimensional for me to elevate it to that "classic" status that so many others have bestowed upon it. And I don't think it comes down to its tender age of ten years, as Aberlour, Balvenie, Laphroaig, Talisker and so many others have produced exceptional 10 year olds with loads of complexity. Perhaps I am still judging the Ardbeg 10 too harshly (and will end up eating these words at some point), but I think Ardbeg could produce a product equally intense in terms of peat/smoke and add the necessary malt to give the whisky the heft it deserves. But that's just one novice's opinion.

Guru

I was just listening to the podcast from www.whiskeycast.com for information on Jefferson's Presidential Select bourbon.
    They had some info on Laphroaig coming out with an 18yo instead of the 15yo this year.
    So hearing that and with it being 61 degrees and drizzling here I poured myself a Lap 15yo, neat.
    Yeah, it's nice.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    ...and with it being 61 degrees and drizzling here I poured myself a Lap 15yo, neat. Yeah, it's nice.
    I had my mind set on a nice rye for tonight but since it's cold and drizzly here too you've got me thinking of a Scottish "winter warmer" to keep the damp out of the ol' bones. I'm heading for the Aberlour A'bunadh.

Disciple

Has anybody here honestly on their first taste of Ardbeg 10 actually enjoyed it?
    I loved it from first taste. Iodine, honey and peat. It through me for a loop, but I enjoyed the new taste...at least for me... just another color in the painting of Whisky.