Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 67 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    I loved it from first taste. Iodine, honey and peat. It through me for a loop, but I enjoyed the new taste...at least for me... just another color in the painting of Whisky.
    Islay must be a strange place. You got Bowmore, some of which might be mistaken for bourbon (by somebody?!?). You got Laphroaig whose cask strength is bottled smoke, peat and iodine period and about as far from Kentucky as anything that calls itself whisk(e)y. Then there's Ardbeg (I only know 10), another ten degrees of longitude and lattiude past Laphroiag.

"Another color in the painting of Whisky." I get olive green high-gloss enamel, what do you get?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    Islay must be a strange place. You got Bowmore, some of which might be mistaken for bourbon (by somebody?!?). You got Laphroaig whose cask strength is bottled smoke, peat and iodine period and about as far from Kentucky as anything that calls itself whisk(e)y. Then there's Ardbeg (I only know 10), another ten degrees of longitude and lattiude past Laphroiag.

"Another color in the painting of Whisky." I get olive green high-gloss enamel, what do you get?
    Strange indeed. Don't forget my favorite -- Caol Ila. And Bruichladdich-- masters of ace, Bunnahabhain--- the un-peated islay, Kilchoman (newest on the island), Lagavulin -- liquid bacon, and the long lost legend Port Ellen. I gotta visit soon. I do love the peat and crappy weather with my dram.

Guru

Lagavulin -- liquid bacon...
    Very appropriate description. Too bad I laughed out loud and passed whiskey through my nose.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Very appropriate description. Too bad I laughed out loud and passed whiskey through my nose.
    Perhaps we'll diverge from bourbon on the 10th and try some Caol Ila that we've been aging in a mini barrel. Islay is heaven imo. Well....Kentucky and islay. I've been lucky enough to hang with distillers from both regions, and have concluded that I'm a fan of both Whisk(e)y styles. Well....all Whisk(e)y styles. Water of life as it is.

Guru

Perhaps we'll diverge from bourbon on the 10th and try some Caol Ila that we've been aging in a mini barrel. Islay is heaven imo. Well....Kentucky and islay. I've been lucky enough to hang with distillers from both regions, and have concluded that I'm a fan of both Whisk(e)y styles. Well....all Whisk(e)y styles. Water of life as it is.
    I'm with you Joe. It's all good! Caol Ila is the only Islay I've never had, so we might have to hit that barrel at some point. By the way, Islay is an "interesting" heaven. I've been there twice and loved it. Cold, wet, windy, rocky and barren--just the environment and weather you need when you stumble into a local pub and order a dark Scottish ale and a not-so-wee dram of Laphroaig before settling down by the fireplace. Then it's back out to wander the hills in the lashing rain until you need to warm up again and have another round of drinks. What could be better?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

I'm having Bowmore Legend tonight. I've been drinking alot of bourbon (and beer) this summer and I think maybe this shot of lower-aged Islay is a little severe. It's just to much contrast with the sweet bourbon. It's not bad, but I wish I had some JWB, a Speysider or some Chivas.

Guru

Just bought my first bottle of Springbank 10 today which I will be hitting tonight. Can't wait to try it!

Connoisseur

RE: Islay

I've been drinking Lagavulin 16 since it was recommended to me in the Harrod's liquor dept when I visited London in 1991. Even hoarded a few bottles to survive the shortage a few years ago.

2nd favorite is Bowmore. Love the dragon on this bottle.

Really don't like Laphroig or Ardbeg--both too peaty.

For smoky, not peaty, try Talisker--the only Scotch from the Isle of Skye. Side by side with Lagavulin, you can tell the difference.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

New purchase--Glenlivet 21

At Chicago Gourmet last weekend, tried Glenlivet 21. Very smooth. Reminds me of my early days of single malts--Glenfiddich and Glenlivet.

Picked up a bottle at Binny's today--$25 less than they estimated at the show, so I was pleasantly surprised.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Re: Islay

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    I've been drinking Lagavulin 16 since it was recommended to me in the Harrod's liquor dept when I visited London in 1991. Even hoarded a few bottles to survive the shortage a few years ago.

2nd favorite is Bowmore. Love the dragon on this bottle.

Really don't like Laphroig or Ardbeg--both too peaty.

For smoky, not peaty, try Talisker--the only Scotch from the Isle of Skye. Side by side with Lagavulin, you can tell the difference.
    I love the Lagavulin 16 too--possibly my overall favorite Scotch whisky, though the Highland Park 18 runs neck and neck in my book. I've got one Lag 16 open and three bunkered after finding a stash for $55 each ($90 most other places around here), so how could I pass them up? I'd like to try that Bowmore you've got pictured but I'm guessing it's way out of my price range.