Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 69 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Glenfarclas 12 yr - 1st time. Much more salty and smokey than I expected and less sweet for a Speyside. Almost a little like HP or Old Pulteney. Still hints of sherry that give the whiskey good balance and very smoooth!! I like it. Definately on the buy list
    TJ

Connoisseur

Aberlour 10. One of the best values in single malt Scotch, at least around here. Very fruity with grape and cherry, plus minty overtones. With water, rich bourbon tones emerge. Amazing depth for the price.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
    Glenfarclas 12 yr - 1st time. Much more salty and smokey than I expected and less sweet for a Speyside. Almost a little like HP or Old Pulteney. Still hints of sherry that give the whiskey good balance and very smoooth!! I like it. Definately on the buy list
    TJ
    I love the Glenfarclas 12. If you like it now, wait until you've had it a few more times. It just seems to get better and better.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Glenfiddich 15 Solera. this whisky is sublime! So balanced, and so delicious!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    Glenfiddich 15 Solera. this whisky is sublime! So balanced, and so delicious!
    Agreed! A good value as well.

Guru

Fun thing about the fiddich 15 is the use of different wood. sherry, new oak, and bourbon barrels are used to age the malt. It's then combined into a giant wooden vat and married. The vat never goes below 50% fill. You end up with a complex and affordable 15yr malt. I hope ya'll get to try it at cask strength some time. Quite a delicious dram.

Guru

Switched it up today and enjoyed a Balblair '97. Picked up pear on the nose. It was quite enjoyable and am glad I have a backup bottle in the bunker. As the weather turns, I start rotating some Highland Scotch and Irish Whiskey into my drinking routine. Not sure why I do this but the cooler weather prompts this addition.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Had a great flight of single malts last night. Started with two pours of Glenfarclas 10 which is really outstanding for its young age. Moved on to an older bottle of Dalmore 12 and finished the night with a hefty pour of Macallan 12. The latter tasted a tad "thin" after the Dalmore, but I was fairly well-oiled by that point, so it may have just been me and not the whisky. I was pleased to pick up two bottles of the Dalmore 12 for $28 recently, so I'll be enjoying them with some regularity this fall/winter.

I should mention that a friend gave me a bottle of Sheep Dip yesterday as a belated birthday present. I look forward to trying that tonight for the first time.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

About a half-teaspoon each of JW Black, Green, and Gold. Green's my favorite so far.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon2 View Post
    About a half-teaspoon each of JW Black, Green, and Gold. Green's my favorite so far.
    I concur!!!! No question!