Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 71 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 2424
  1. #701
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,186

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Auchentoshan 12 years old, from one of the three surviving Lowlands distilleries. Despite the three distillations and a relatively high distilling-out proof, the flavour has a pronounced barley note and melds well with the toasty wood effects from the cask. (I hadn't had a malt in a while and my first taste made me think of Colorado Whiskey which is made from all-malted barley albeit it is much younger and aged in new charred oak).

    Classy stuff, soft and malty but with the pleasing lightness (relatively) of Lowlands whisky. It reminds me in a way of Buffalo Trace - both are roughly the same age and have a malty smooth palate.

    I used to like single malt a lot and have (or had, again) a fair amount of experience with it. At one point, my palate changed and I preferred bourbon and straight rye, which probably is a permanent change. Still, I like returning to the whiskies occasionally of the countries whence whisky originated, hence my recent forays into some Irish and Scots whiskies.

    I do still regularly drink my own Scotch blends, which themselves are probably 80% single malt (a wide range), but a blend and a single malt are two different things.

    Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 11-01-2009 at 06:49.

  2. #702
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    773

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Auchentoshan 12 years old, from one of the three surviving Lowlands distilleries. Despite the three distillations and a relatively high distilling-out proof, the flavour has a pronounced barley note and melds well with the toasty wood effects from the cask. (I hadn't had a malt in a while and my first taste made me think of Colorado Whiskey which is made from all-malted barley albeit it is much younger and aged in new charred oak).

    Classy stuff, soft and malty but with the pleasing lightness (relatively) of Lowlands whisky. It reminds me in a way of Buffalo Trace - both are roughly the same age and have a malty smooth palate.

    I used to like single malt a lot and have (or had, again) a fair amount of experience with it. At one point, my palate changed and I preferred bourbon and straight rye, which probably is a permanent change. Still, I like returning to the whiskies occasionally of the countries whence whisky originated, hence my recent forays into some Irish and Scots whiskies.

    I do still regularly drink my own Scotch blends, which themselves are probably 80% single malt (a wide range), but a blend and a single malt are two different things.

    Gary
    Auchentoshan 12 is quite good, though I had it right after Longmorn 16 so my palate was not so receptive to its subtleties.

  3. #703
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,186

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Longmorn 16 is excellent too, quite different I would say.

    Gary

  4. #704
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    746

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Cracked open, and poured a wee taste of ORVW 10 last night, to celebrate being out of the hospital. I didn't really like it - it tasted a bit medicinal.

    So today I poured a taste of Glenrothes, a pour that I know I like, just to be sure my taste buds aren/t a bit screwed up. Nope - I still like the Glenrothes just fine. I will try the ORVW again at some later time, just to be sure, though.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

  5. #705
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Scored an Aberlour 12 on sale at the bargain price of $30 today! That's down from the regular price of $43, so I was psyched. Will have to hold off on drinking it until tomorrow night because I've got the Irishman 70 on deck for tonight.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  6. #706
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    773

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Scored an Aberlour 12 on sale at the bargain price of $30 today! That's down from the regular price of $43, so I was psyched. Will have to hold off on drinking it until tomorrow night because I've got the Irishman 70 on deck for tonight.
    Nice, Aberlour is good stuff. Let us know what you think of the Irishman.

  7. #707
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Nice, Aberlour is good stuff. Let us know what you think of the Irishman.

    I was actually having some Abunadh #23 earlier. good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

  8. #708
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,016

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Auchentoshan 12 is quite good, though I had it right after Longmorn 16 so my palate was not so receptive to its subtleties.
    Lowlands are subtle thanks to triple distillation, but very good IMO. I love me some Longmorn. Try you're tasting in reverse, and I bet Longmorn 16 will be even more robust, and you'll get all of those subtle Auchentoshan treats before stepping up to a solid speysider. Cheers!

  9. #709
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,016

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    I was actually having some Abunadh #23 earlier. good stuff.
    Gotta love the sherry, but a very nice dram.

  10. #710
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Had a few pours of Clynelish 14 last night for the very first time. It's not overly complex but has a nice, semi-sweet, seaweedy nose and a long, mildly peppery finish. I plan on having more tonight in a side-by-side tasting with Clynelish's neighbor, Old Pulteney 12. These are whiskies that I enjoy for their subtleties, so those looking for heavy flavors and pronounced characteristics may find them less interesting than I do.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Enjoying Whiskey writting and my Wonderful Dog Nikki
    By dave ziegler in forum History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 05:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top