Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
Will do, Edo. It is now officially on my Christmas list. Hard to imagine whisky so good, isn't it? But Laphroaig is doing an excellent job these days and I can't get enough of their stuff. All I need to do now is find any easy bank to knock off so that I can afford everything I want!
Although you and I may differ politically, we usually see eye to eye on whiskey. This is an exception. I think Laphroaig has been "dumbed down" slowly over the last 30 years or so. The Laphroaig of today is a mere hint of the Laphroaig of the 70s or 80s. Especially the 10. While the seaweed and iodine is still there, it has been greatly reduced. Their master blender told me this was done intentionally to make it "more acceptable" to a greater number of people. Some think this is a good thing. I (and others) think that he destroyed the Laphroaig that we knew and loved. We begged him to recreate the old Laphroaig, put it in a different package, raise the price (if need be) and sell it for those of us who love and miss the medicinal briny taste that was so distinctly Laphroaig. However if I had to choose one whisky to drink for the rest of my life, after some deliberation, I'd probably sitill choose Laphroaig 10 over the 15, and over Lagavulin and Ardbeg.