Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 91 of 243 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

I've been sipping at a 15-YO Signatory un-chill filtered Clynelish (92 proof). It's one of the palest whiskies I've seen -- even more so than Ardbeg 10. The flavor is terrific, but very delicate, with some nice saltiness and a little bit of vanilla sweetness. This is a whiskey that requires some attention. If I were drinking it while watching a movie or while talking to friends I think it'd almost disappear. I like it a lot, and would definitely try another bottling of Clynelish, especially if it were bottled at a higher proof.

Lately I've been really digging the briny single malts -- particularly this Clynelish and the Talisker 10 and 18. Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar sort of Scotch?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    I've been sipping at a 15-YO Signatory un-chill filtered Clynelish (92 proof). It's one of the palest whiskies I've seen -- even more so than Ardbeg 10. The flavor is terrific, but very delicate, with some nice saltiness and a little bit of vanilla sweetness. This is a whiskey that requires some attention. If I were drinking it while watching a movie or while talking to friends I think it'd almost disappear. I like it a lot, and would definitely try another bottling of Clynelish, especially if it were bottled at a higher proof.

Lately I've been really digging the briny single malts -- particularly this Clynelish and the Talisker 10 and 18. Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar sort of Scotch?
    For Briny-ness I love Old Pultney 12. You can almost taste salt spray. One of my favorites. You can also try Highland Park 12 or 18.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

A splash of Cragganmore '89, neat.
    ovh

Guru

Taking a swim 'round the Orkneys tonight with Highland Park 12.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

JamesW,

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I'm pretty sure I've seen a bottle of Pulteney 12 on a shelf around town. I'll post my thoughts. Oh, and HP 12/18 are definitely favorites. I've been leaning more towards the 12, as the price of the 18 climbs ever higher, but can't resist the 18 for too long.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    JamesW,

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I'm pretty sure I've seen a bottle of Pulteney 12 on a shelf around town. I'll post my thoughts. Oh, and HP 12/18 are definitely favorites. I've been leaning more towards the 12, as the price of the 18 climbs ever higher, but can't resist the 18 for too long.
    I agree. The 18 is remarkably smooth but sometimes I just prefer the bite of the 12. It's the same with Talisker 10 and 18 for me.

Tonight I'm enjoying a vatting of Talisker 10 (2/3) and Caol Ila 12 (1/3)

Very nice.

Enthusiast

Tonight, I'm tasting some of Glenrothes Select Reserve. NAS, but I'd peg it around 10-12 years.

Definitely a hint of orange rind, a pinch of clove, and a nutty, yeasty dry Sherry note.

For the record, this whisky has been matured in both American and Spanish Oak.

I had been enjoying Tomatin 12-year, but that has all but completely disappeared from the store shelves in a very short time...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

On to another mixing of 50% Talisker 10, 30% Caol Ila, and 20% Laphroaig QC. Marvelous combination! Spicy, smokey, works great!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    On to another mixing of 50% Talisker 10, 30% Caol Ila, and 20% Laphroaig QC. Marvelous combination! Spicy, smokey, works great!
    I'd like to know what adding a heavy, sherried malt, like Aberlour or Macallan, would do to such a blend...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

Cracked open a bottle of JW Blk that I got for Christmas.