Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 115 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 2424
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Definitely with Megawatt on Singleton, the 12 year old single malt from Glendullan distillery. Classy, rounded whisky, as good as it gets in the non-overly sherried or peated mold. It has a character I try to attain in my mingling and blending efforts.

Gary

Virtuoso

Started with Islay Mist 8, Talisker 10, and now Lagavulin 16.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Besides bourbon, I also enjoyed my new Yamazaki 12 year and a Bushmills 1608. All good pours.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

First taste of Clontarf Single Malt Irish Whiskey last night. Nothing striking about this whiskey--"pleasant" would pretty much sum it up but the sale price at Binny's was terrific and it'll go over well with visitors who want something "easy" to drink.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    First taste of Clontarf Single Malt Irish Whiskey last night. Nothing striking about this whiskey--"pleasant" would pretty much sum it up but the sale price at Binny's was terrific and it'll go over well with visitors who want something "easy" to drink.
    Yeah, I think Clontarf is an excellent "starter" whiskey-- it's basically Cooley or IDG juice (I forget which) that has been charcoal-mellowed, a la Tennessee Whiskey. So, yeah, it's quite mild and mellow, but those of us with a little more skill would tend to look elsewhere.

I recommend Kilbeggan, Michael Collins, Feckin', Kellan, or Irish Manor as excellent "sipping" blends.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Enthusiast

Well, I finished off my bottle of Compass Box Hedonism, a vatted Scotch Grain whisky (distilled from Maize, sometimes with wheat). Most of the grains in this blend were over 20 years old.

The dominant flavor-- Vanilla Cream. I also picked up some rich spice notes of clove, with the occasional hint of toffee.

Then something interesting happened-- after finishing off that bottle, I ended my night with a dram of Glenmorangie Original. Usually, I can get a strong taste of Vanilla Cream from this as well, but, after the Hedonism, I guess my palate was burned-out on that flavor, so it decided to pick up something I've never tasted in Glenmorangie before-- Golden Delicious apple.

So, now I'm making it a common practice to try multiple spirits (small pours, of course) in a single sitting. Let's see what else I can pick up!
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

A nice Ardbeg 10.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    Well, I finished off my bottle of Compass Box Hedonism, a vatted Scotch Grain whisky (distilled from Maize, sometimes with wheat). Most of the grains in this blend were over 20 years old.

The dominant flavor-- Vanilla Cream. I also picked up some rich spice notes of clove, with the occasional hint of toffee.

Then something interesting happened-- after finishing off that bottle, I ended my night with a dram of Glenmorangie Original. Usually, I can get a strong taste of Vanilla Cream from this as well, but, after the Hedonism, I guess my palate was burned-out on that flavor, so it decided to pick up something I've never tasted in Glenmorangie before-- Golden Delicious apple.

So, now I'm making it a common practice to try multiple spirits (small pours, of course) in a single sitting. Let's see what else I can pick up!
    Very interesting how direct comparisons can bring out different qualities in a whisky. After a dram of Connoiseur's Choice Caol Ila, I had Lagavulin 16 and it tasted and smelled very strongly of green apples, which I had never noticed before.

Virtuoso

JWB and now Jura Superstition. The Jura has nice smoke but is just a tad too sweet for my tastes.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Bush Pilot's Canadian. Pleasant enough, this evening.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama