Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 117 of 243 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167217 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 2424
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    But right now I'm just finishing an Auchentoshan, ... almonds and chocolate-covered cherries, bitter cocoa, hints of peat and smoke.
    Just got my first bottle of Auchentoshan recently and was really impressed. It went over big with a number of house guests.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Just got my first bottle of Auchentoshan recently and was really impressed. It went over big with a number of house guests.
    This is my first bottle (almost gone now.) My first pour or two, I wasn't too impressed. I guess it wasn't what I was expecting or I didn't give it enough time... But it was colder than cold-hell here a couple weeks ago. Heating is shit in paradise, so we take a deep hot bath in the winter to get warm. Japanese bath tubs are much shorter and deeper than in the US, and they have a heater that keeps the water hot. I went in with a triple pour of Auchentoshan, and came out much later (after everyone else had gone to bed) a true believer with great appreciation for the stuff.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    This is my first bottle (almost gone now.) My first pour or two, I wasn't too impressed. I guess it wasn't what I was expecting or I didn't give it enough time... But it was colder than cold-hell here a couple weeks ago. Heating is shit in paradise, so we take a deep hot bath in the winter to get warm. Japanese bath tubs are much shorter and deeper than in the US, and they have a heater that keeps the water hot. I went in with a triple pour of Auchentoshan, and came out much later (after everyone else had gone to bed) a true believer with great appreciation for the stuff.
    I wasn't expecting much either, perhaps because Auchentoshan is a Lowland whisky which I tend to associate with "pleasant" but "bland." I know that I shouldn't make that broad generalization but I do. But mid-way through my second pour I began to really appreciate the subtle charms of Auchentoshan and was able to tease out some wonderful flavors that sold me on the whisky. It's kind of like my experience with Bunnahabhain in that I first thought it was the blandest of Islays but soon began to appreciate what a truly fine dram it really is after I put my preconceptions to rest.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Last night I had a nice pour from the standard Black Bottle NAS (~5yrs old) before hitting the single malts. I've always like the BB, and last night it was superb. For about $20 in the US, you really can't beat it for value. While being quite young, it has very pleasant smoke and peat, is slightly sweet mid-palate which then turns into a slightly dry-ashen finish that lingers nicely.

If you like the Islays as much as I do, this is a must-have everyday pour. To stretch your premium dollars a bit further, I also suggest adding a splash of the Laphroaig QC. This really adds some nice complexity.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Last night I had a nice pour from the standard Black Bottle NAS (~5yrs old) before hitting the single malts. I've always like the BB, and last night it was superb. For about $20 in the US, you really can't beat it for value. While being quite young, it has very pleasant smoke and peat, is slightly sweet mid-palate which then turns into a slightly dry-ashen finish that lingers nicely.

If you like the Islays as much as I do, this is a must-have everyday pour. To stretch your premium dollars a bit further, I also suggest adding a splash of the Laphroaig QC. This really adds some nice complexity.
    I've done that a lot, James, and it's mighty fine. But now you've got me thinking about Laphroaig QC. I might light a fire, pour some LQC and watch the snow continue to fall. What better way to spend a cold winter night!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I've done that a lot, James, and it's mighty fine. But now you've got me thinking about Laphroaig QC. I might light a fire, pour some LQC and watch the snow continue to fall. What better way to spend a cold winter night!
    I'm right with you on that. Reaching for the Laph as we speak

Virtuoso

Added some Ardbeg 10 (which seemed a little dry tonight) and now some Lagavulin 12 CS. This dram is superlative. Wow! Just outstanding.

Guru

Had my Laphroaig Quarter Cask pour, followed by a LQC/Black Bottle combo. I was going to call it a night but think I'll have a small Laphroaig Cask Strength before turning in. That LQC really is outstanding!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post

If you guys can get hold of Finlaggan, that's a good cheap(er) mystery Isla. I think it's young Caol Ila.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Virtuoso

My newest open bottle is anCnoc 16. Matured in all ex-bourbon casks-- it is rather naked, but I really like it. Some pineapple juice, dandelions, and grapefruit rinds in the nose.

Speaking of a splash of Laphroaig, I've found that certain non-offensive but not very exciting single malts, especially those with a little sherry touch (Tomintoul comes to mind) can be improved drastically with a dab of Laphroaig Cask Strength.