Tonight, I started with a Laphroaig 10 year old. Whoa!!!! I was not prepared for the taste. It is a bit challenging for me. I only recently (within the last month) developed a taste for Whisk(e)y of any kind. It started out with Canadian Club, then moved to Maker's Mark, then I tried a miniature of Famous Grouse (the second level up from the basic) and I enjoyed it and the smoky aftertaste. So here I go thinking alright, I want smoke so I go for the Laphroaig based what a friend of mine told me that he likes to drink. Had I known what I was in for I would have gone for probably Johnnie Walker Black and eased into the Laphroaig. Oh well, I have a whole bottle of it, paid good money for it, guess I will have to learn to enjoy it.

Actually, I do like the smoke but I didn't expect it to be so powerful.

Question....Would it be fair to compare Laphroaig as compared to other scotches like say Miller to Sam Adams. Sam being a bit more full flavored? Maybe that is a bad choice for beers but I think you know what I mean.

By the way, I switched to Buffalo Trace and I still taste the smoke. Buffalo Trace taste wise was like going to soda pop.