Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 130 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 2424
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Spice tree to start. Great whiskey, highly recommend! Now on to Amrut Fusion. There's an odd (but great) flavor in here, smells like a black forest cake. Really hard to put my finger on it. Excellent? Sublime? yes. Wish I could afford to drink these 2 every night.
    Fusion is a strange one, isn't it? I find it quite gingery, among other things.

Really want to try The Spice Tree. Also the new 14 year old Arran Malt is supposed to be very nice.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Both were fabulous and those who dismiss Bunnahabhain for being lighter in profile than the other Islay whiskies are missing out. I have one friend who turns his nose up to Bunnahabhain 12 every time I offer it and for the life of me I can't understand why. It is truly delicious and brimming with flavor and aroma, IMO. Tonight, I think I'll head down the road to Caol Ila 12, another Islay classic!
    Don't get me wrong, I like the southern Islay malts as much as any peat-head, but Bunnahabhain is one of my top favorites of any style.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like the southern Islay malts as much as any peat-head, but Bunnahabhain is one of my top favorites of any style.
    LOL!!! It should be for what it cost. I wanted to try it but was scared off by the price.

I am looking to add a Speyside to my shelf now. I have Grant's, Laphroaig, and Glenmorangie. All different and all very enjoyable.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bgast1 View Post
    LOL!!! It should be for what it cost. I wanted to try it but was scared off by the price.

I am looking to add a Speyside to my shelf now. I have Grant's, Laphroaig, and Glenmorangie. All different and all very enjoyable.
    Try Aberlour. The 10 year old is a great value.

Connoisseur

Deviated from bourbon tonight with friends. Started with Cardhu 12, moved on to Talisker 10, McCarthy's Single Malt, Yamazaki 12 and finished with Aberlour a'bunadh batch 29. A good time had by all.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    Deviated from bourbon tonight with friends. Started with Cardhu 12, moved on to Talisker 10, McCarthy's Single Malt, Yamazaki 12 and finished with Aberlour a'bunadh batch 29. A good time had by all.
    What did you think of the Cardhu? I bought a bottle of it a while back, but I just don't seem to like it much. I've tried it on a few different evenings, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    What did you think of the Cardhu? I bought a bottle of it a while back, but I just don't seem to like it much. I've tried it on a few different evenings, but it just doesn't do anything for me.
    The Cardhu is a bottle my brother gave me for my birthday years ago. I think of it as "starter" Scotch. Very soft, light peat smoke, drinkable, but not anything special. I started with it last night because we had some new Scotch drinkers and I didn't want to overwhelm them at the beginning. It would not be a bottle I would have purchased for myself.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    The Cardhu is a bottle my brother gave me for my birthday years ago. I think of it as "starter" Scotch. Very soft, light peat smoke, drinkable, but not anything special. I started with it last night because we had some new Scotch drinkers and I didn't want to overwhelm them at the beginning. It would not be a bottle I would have purchased for myself.
    That's pretty much my impression of it, also. I like Speyside expressions quite a bit (although, Islay is definitely my favorite region), but this one is more like liquid candy than whisky to me. I suppose since it's the predominant malt in JWB, that's why I find JWB so easy to drink, too.

Enthusiast

Really enjoying the Springbank 10 year old. Love that bit of saltiness on the finish.

Virtuoso

A lot of those "tame" speysiders (especially ones like Cardhu where most of the output is blend fill) can benefit greatly from careful vatting. I had a Tomintoul 16 (the so-called "gentle dram") which was not bad at all, just boring. About five drops of Laphroaig 10 cask strength turned it into a spicy firecracker along the lines of a Lagavulin or a sherry finished Talisker. I would almost buy it again just to do this vatting. I had a Old Pulteney 12 that was pretty good about 2:1 with the Lappy....

Back on topic, earlier tonight it was a touch of Talisker 10 as a digestive.