Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 131 of 243 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 2424
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    A lot of those "tame" speysiders (especially ones like Cardhu where most of the output is blend fill) can benefit greatly from careful vatting. I had a Tomintoul 16 (the so-called "gentle dram") which was not bad at all, just boring. About five drops of Laphroaig 10 cask strength turned it into a spicy firecracker along the lines of a Lagavulin or a sherry finished Talisker. I would almost buy it again just to do this vatting. I had a Old Pulteney 12 that was pretty good about 2:1 with the Lappy....

Back on topic, earlier tonight it was a touch of Talisker 10 as a digestive.
    I'll try adding a little Laphroaig or Ardbeg to the Cardhu... it sure can't hurt it.

Connoisseur

I'm liking this Forty Creek Confederation Oak more and more. The second half of the bottle has really opened up and it is far more interesting than it was at first. I always hesitate spending single malt bucks on Canadian whisky but it usually pays off, just in a different way.

Virtuoso

Started with GD12 but it just wasn't doing it. So I went to Laphroaig 18 followed by aCnoc 16. Just what the doctor ordered.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Courtesy my friend G. Hodder, 25 year old Bowmore. A silky and rich malt if there ever was one with caramel, fine wood, peat and sherry influences. It has the kind of modulated, elegant palate I strive for in my vattings and blendings. Great experience.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I was out with a friend last night and he ordered me a pour and asked "what is it and what do you think?" He knows I'm a bourbon drinker (and the occasional drinker of other whiskies too). I nosed it and answered the easy part....scotch. Not too smokey/peaty. I then tasted it and said "scotch...but with either something added or finished in an unusual barrel". "Not port....not sherry....but something slightly sweet." He then revealed it as the Balvenie 14 Carribean Cask. Somewhat spicy with a fruity line giving it some appeal.

Randy

Virtuoso

Last evening was Irish night... Bushmills 16yo and Tyrconnell 10YO sherry cask finished. Both were very good but the Bushmills landed on top...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Apprentice

Balvenie Doublewood. Interesting but not great.

Virtuoso

A few friends over an a few more Irish pours... Red Breast 12 and 15 plus a few others.... pretty good stuff....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

I'm doing a head-to-head with Forty Creek Barrel Select and Confederation Oak Reserve. Barrel Select is nice and honied with a silky entry and toasted nut flavour, but Confederation Oak really blows it away in terms of fullness of flavour and complexity. Side-by-side, the oak influence of Confederation Oak is very apparent. The finish is also miles longer. Both good whiskies, though.

Enthusiast

Pour of Ardbeg 10 yr, followed by Uigeadail, followed by Caol Ila 18 yr. It was a cold windy night in my next of the woods, perfect Islay weather.