Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 143 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2424
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Figured I'd drop in here and see if anyone has a tip or two. Going to pull the trigger on a new scotch soon and have narrowed it down to two, Highland Park 12 year, and the Aberlour 12 year (tried both at an event this weekend). I lean towards the Highland Park, but I fear that the sea mist taste that I picked up on may become off-putting somewhere down the line. The Aberlour came off as more appealing and versatile to me (maybe generic). I will likely add both to the cabinet, but not sure which to add first.

Virtuoso

Well, for what it's worth, the "sea mist" is one of the things that I really like about HP. Your mileage may vary, though.

Either is a solid choice, but I'm a bigger fan of HP personally.

Connoisseur

I enjoyed a few fingers of OWA last night. After a splash of water and 10 minutes or so, it opened up nicely. The bottle is about 1/3 gone and getting better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Figured I'd drop in here and see if anyone has a tip or two. Going to pull the trigger on a new scotch soon and have narrowed it down to two, Highland Park 12 year, and the Aberlour 12 year (tried both at an event this weekend). I lean towards the Highland Park, but I fear that the sea mist taste that I picked up on may become off-putting somewhere down the line. The Aberlour came off as more appealing and versatile to me (maybe generic). I will likely add both to the cabinet, but not sure which to add first.
    Both are very fine single malts and among the best out there in their age group. However, the Aberlour is a classic Speyside whisky and the HP an "island" whisky, so you should expect different flavors/aromas such as the "sea mist" you referred to. The HP will also have a bit of peat and smoke that you won't find in the Aberlour, though not in a heavy way, so don't be put off by that. As Brisko said in his post, those are characteristics that make us HP lovers seek it out, as its heathery peat is quite different from Islay peat, and the effects of the sea only add to the flavor profile. Get them both and get to know each bottle on its own before comparing and contrasting. I think you'll find that they are both great!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Having some Arran Malt Amarone Finish, 50% alc/vol. Nice stuff, fruity and salty, dry finish.

Virtuoso

Just cracked open a bottle of White Horse. I think the general consensus is that it is a solid, value blend. I would agree.

It is a very middle of the road blend, not a lot of immature notes despite the fact it's NAS, and not especially peaty, despite the fact that its claim to fame is having Lagavulin as one of the prime malt constituents. The Lagavulin isn't overtly evident until the finish, which is uncharacteristically long and flavorful.

A pleasant dram that doesn't require a lot of thought.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Just cracked open a bottle of White Horse. I think the general consensus is that it is a solid, value blend. I would agree.

It is a very middle of the road blend, not a lot of immature notes despite the fact it's NAS, and not especially peaty, despite the fact that its claim to fame is having Lagavulin as one of the prime malt constituents. The Lagavulin isn't overtly evident until the finish, which is uncharacteristically long and flavorful.

A pleasant dram that doesn't require a lot of thought.
    I would highly recommend trying Teacher's Highland Cream as well. Recent bottles that my friends and I have been sampling have been very good, even better than White Horse when we tried them side by side, though I do enjoy both.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Ended up getting the HP12 today, haven't cracked it open yet, may wait til tomorrow to have a celebratory drink on the holiday.

Guru

Sat out on our first truly autumnal evening and enjoyed a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black and a few pints of beer from a local brew pub. Heaven!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I would highly recommend trying Teacher's Highland Cream as well. Recent bottles that my friends and I have been sampling have been very good, even better than White Horse when we tried them side by side, though I do enjoy both.
    Yes, I'm a big fan of Teacher's, too. The last bottle I had (about a year ago) was good but with some green notes... This bottle of White Horse would probably have the edge in my book. But I do like honest, mildly peaty blends.