Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 144 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 2424
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Cracked open a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta. Finished in Olorosa sherry casks and delivered to my house at a non chill filtered 46% ABV. Nice elegant bottle with a mahogany colored whisky. The nose was soft and nutty with a hint of raisins and prunes. This must surely indicate the Lasanta is a health drink. The taste reminded me of Macallen with a slightly more sweet taste. The sherry was very evident and blended well with the roasted nuts, cereal, and toasted oak flavors. A nice smooth dram and if you like shrried whisky you will like this one as well.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Advanced Taster

Enjoying Dalmore 12 year right now while doing some history homework. I have yet to encounter a highland malt that I did not enjoy, and this is certainly no exception.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    Cracked open a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta. Finished in Olorosa sherry casks and delivered to my house at a non chill filtered 46% ABV. Nice elegant bottle with a mahogany colored whisky. The nose was soft and nutty with a hint of raisins and prunes. This must surely indicate the Lasanta is a health drink. The taste reminded me of Macallen with a slightly more sweet taste. The sherry was very evident and blended well with the roasted nuts, cereal, and toasted oak flavors. A nice smooth dram and if you like shrried whisky you will like this one as well.
    I tried this at a Scotch tasting and it came across very well. Accurate comparison to Macallan sherry cask. I think I liked it better than the Quinta Ruban port finish, which is good but drier and more subtle from my recollection.

Connoisseur

Wemyss Spice King 8 year old vatted malt. It is starting to grow on me. Honey sweetness with a strong note of peat, not unlike Jura Superstition.

Advanced Taster

Jamesssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connoisseur

I dug out a bottle of Tobermory 10 yo 40% ABV that has been occupying valuable shelf space for several years. It lacks the usual attention to bottle and label art given to other more recognizable brands with a green bottle and plain white lettering. The ugly duckling quickly changed to a graceful swan after I popped the cork and took my first sniff. The nose was subtle hints of flowers, cereal, orange peel, and a touch of almonds, oak, and all spice. The taste was off dry with rich malty butterscotch backed by the oak and spice. The finish was incredibly long fading on oak and spice. It wasn't complex but It was well balanced flavors. I certainly overlooked this bottle's potential to be an enjoyable dram.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

Laphroaig Cask Strength on deck for this evening. We're about to hit a stretch of the coolest/coldest evening weather we've had since spring, so I anticipate many fine drams to appear this week. Gotta love that sweatshirt/light jacket autumnal weather and nothing goes better than a little Islay whisky when you're sitting out on the deck.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Gotta love that sweatshirt/light jacket autumnal weather and nothing goes better than a little Islay whisky when you're sitting out on the deck.
    I agree whole heartedly Hank, only my choice this evening is Laphroaig Cairdeas.

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    I agree whole heartedly Hank, only my choice this evening is Laphroaig Cairdeas.

Gary
    Gary, that is what I had tonight as well. I've said several times I have no idea what happened, but I all of the sudden am in love with some Islay SMS.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post

Gary
    What's this, a SMS from Laphroaig not available here? Curses!

... we've been slumming it with nas blends (excpt for Caol Ila 8 yo unpeated- and un-existent now at my house) for the last couple weeks. .in the following order: Ballentine's, White Horse, and now Teacher's. No problem with any of them ...

... just did a comparison between Ballentine's and Teacher's and I give it by a half point to Teacher's .... my wife's blind test also gives it to Teacher's by a hair (unless I screwed up the glasses, which would reverse her findings.)

update: we did it again (this time I marked the glass)... and N-chan prefers Ballentine's by a smidgin, ...me blind now...I sticks wid' da Teacher's.

... background music for the above tests provided by Anthony Braxton's Charlie Parker Project 1993 ... so your results may vary if you, say, are listenting to the Bay City Rollers ... which probably most people pouring Ballentine's or Teacher's are far more likely to be listening to.
    Last edited by edo; 09-16-2011 at 04:10.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.