Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 146 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 2424
  1. #1451
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    You're welcome, guys.

    Another couple that I thought of:

    Islay Mist used to be led by Laphroaig-- no reason to assume otherwise although they are no longer owned by the same company.

    Isle of Skye-- the name suggests Talisker but it's got a bunch of Speysiders in it, too. The official word is that it contains "a high proportion of carefully selected Island and Speyside Malts."

    And, back on topic, I've been enjoying a glass of Laphroaig 10/CS over the last few days. How much do I love this stuff? A lot.

  2. #1452
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Last night
    i tricked someone into giving me a glass JW Blue. Then had JW Green, and finished with Laphroaig 10 year old cask strength. Nice night.

  3. #1453
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    577

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Last night
    i tricked someone into giving me a glass JW Blue. Then had JW Green, and finished with Laphroaig 10 year old cask strength. Nice night.
    Slow down exalted one! So much good stuff can cause ecstasy overload. How was that JW Blue? I look at it often on the shelf but have never found the courage to unload my life's savings to own a bottle. No one dares carry it in the local watering holes due to the risk of insult to our local collective penny pinching culture so I haven't had a chance to purchase a shot.

    I suppose I should add it to my bucket list.....

    Jealous in Bama,

    Dan
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

  4. #1454
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,782

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Last night
    i tricked someone into giving me a glass JW Blue.
    Aha! The David Copperfield of the whisky world! How does one actually trick someone into handing over a "glass" (not a shot?) of JW Blue? Share your secrets!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  5. #1455
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    665

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    I'm just wading in to the scotch pool, learning by sampling glasses whilst out for drinks with friends.

    Last night had an Ardbeg 10, first neat, and then with a splash of water. It was certainly quite peaty, but I was shocked at how sweet it was. Creamy and vanilla as much as almost any bourbon I've had, really. I liked it alot.

    Not scotch but ended the night with Black Bush. Also quite bourbon like in its sweetness. Enjoyable, but not a standout whiskey.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

  6. #1456
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    247

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    I went to a scotch tasting put on by a local liquor store. We tried Macallan 12, 18, Macallan Fine Oak 10 and 15, Highland Park 12 and 15, and Famous Grouse. All the Macallans were good, I especially liked the Fine Oak 15. Probably not enough to pay what it sells for though. Peated scotch has always been a bit off putting for me but I lighed the Highland Parks.

  7. #1457
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    209

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Look at that, I am thinking of trying the Ardbeg 10 as well (great sale price), sounds quite nice, I do think I fancy the peat, and the only negative reviews I have seen have been from peat haters. Based on your review and others I've seen, I think I'll end up pulling the trigger on the Ardbeg.

    Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    I'm just wading in to the scotch pool, learning by sampling glasses whilst out for drinks with friends.

    Last night had an Ardbeg 10, first neat, and then with a splash of water. It was certainly quite peaty, but I was shocked at how sweet it was. Creamy and vanilla as much as almost any bourbon I've had, really. I liked it alot.

    Not scotch but ended the night with Black Bush. Also quite bourbon like in its sweetness. Enjoyable, but not a standout whiskey.
    Any other Ardbeg fans in here? Contemplating picking up a bottle of the Ten Year expression.



    Oh, and I am currently enjoying a pour of the HP12.
    Last edited by moose; 09-29-2011 at 22:22.

  8. #1458
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West of the Rockies
    Posts
    2,564

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Look at that, I am thinking of trying the Ardbeg 10 as well (great sale price), sounds quite nice, I do think I fancy the peat, and the only negative reviews I have seen have been from peat haters. Based on your review and others I've seen, I think I'll end up pulling the trigger on the Ardbeg.

    Any other Ardbeg fans in here? Contemplating picking up a bottle of the Ten Year expression.

    Oh, and I am currently enjoying a pour of the HP12.
    Honestly, the 10 year was what I tried first and couldn't stand - but if you already enjoy Scotch maybe it is a moot point. What turned my palette was the Uigeadail, it is fantastic and I would highly recommend spending the extra dough if you can to go straight to that. I now enjoy the 10 year, but the Corry, Uigea and Airigh are all better IMHO.

    I am very new in the Scotch world so don't take anything I saw as gospel, but I probably prefer Laphroaig to Ardbeg so far, I think the 18 year is wonderful but if the Ardbeg Uigea is the same price and you want to try that distillery then go with it.

    -- All this said I don't care for HP12 much.
    C

    "everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

  9. #1459
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    209

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Honestly, the 10 year was what I tried first and couldn't stand - but if you already enjoy Scotch maybe it is a moot point. What turned my palette was the Uigeadail, it is fantastic and I would highly recommend spending the extra dough if you can to go straight to that. I now enjoy the 10 year, but the Corry, Uigea and Airigh are all better IMHO.

    I am very new in the Scotch world so don't take anything I saw as gospel, but I probably prefer Laphroaig to Ardbeg so far, I think the 18 year is wonderful but if the Ardbeg Uigea is the same price and you want to try that distillery then go with it.

    -- All this said I don't care for HP12 much.
    I am still just getting into scotch myself, not looking to spend too much $ on any one bottle. I am working my way through all the different areas to really find out what I like. Thanks for the insight though, definitely helpful.

    The HP12 isn't great, but not bad, maybe just an acquired taste, I have been picking up on a lot of leafy notes lately that have been a bit off-putting.

  10. #1460
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,782

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I am still just getting into scotch myself, not looking to spend too much $ on any one bottle. I am working my way through all the different areas to really find out what I like. Thanks for the insight though, definitely helpful.

    The HP12 isn't great, but not bad, maybe just an acquired taste, I have been picking up on a lot of leafy notes lately that have been a bit off-putting.

    Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10 are benchmark single malts for those who love strong flavored, peaty whiskies. While I agree that the Uigeadail is a superb whisky and one to definitely go for if you can afford it, I'd say it's a risky gamble on an expensive bottle that you may not like, so tread carefully. Not that they have much in common, but if you are finding HP12 off-putting, chances are you'll really dislike the Ardbeg and Laphroaig. I'm not trying to dissuade you from making the leap but I'd try them at a friend's house or buy a drink at a bar before investing in a $50+ bottle of Ardbeg that you may detest.

    Many years ago on a trip to Scotland, my Scottish relatives, all of whom are serious single malt drinkers, did me the disservice of starting me out with Laphroaig 10 and then mocked me endlessly for being a pussy because I hated it. Looking back on the experience, there were dozens of other malts that would have been better starting points for a novice whisky drinker but they pushed me off the deep end which caused me to flat out avoid all single malts for the next fifteen years. Not everyone has the same experience, of course, but my advice is to stick your toe in the water before jumping in head first. Either way, have fun!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Enjoying Whiskey writting and my Wonderful Dog Nikki
    By dave ziegler in forum History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 04:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top