Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 160 of 243 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 2424
  1. #1591
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    29

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Two digits of Black Bush. Silky smooth!

  2. #1592
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Bought a bottle of McClelland's Islay Single Malt. I just cracked it open and, honestly, it's not that bad. Not bad at all. Definitely better than I expected it to be. I'm glad I took a chance on it because I can't be drinking Laphroaig and Ardbeg all the time!

  3. #1593
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Bought a bottle of McClelland's Islay Single Malt. I just cracked it open and, honestly, it's not that bad. Not bad at all. Definitely better than I expected it to be. I'm glad I took a chance on it because I can't be drinking Laphroaig and Ardbeg all the time!
    Does it still have.that overbearing wet dog note? I had a bottle a couple years ago and it was pretty good except for that.

  4. #1594
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massillon, Oh.
    Posts
    1,244

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Does it still have.that overbearing wet dog note? I had a bottle a couple years ago and it was pretty good except for that.
    Yes...lol.
    .............

  5. #1595
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    677

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Spent a night with a friend and as we talked we compared Laphroaig 10 with Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

    The Quarter Cask was the winner: more nuance, more layers. There's some sweetness and richness within the smoke and peat. The 10 year old is heavier on the band-aids and peat, with some salt in the finish.

    I think both are pretty good, but I preferred the QB.

    I also realized again that I prefer the taste profile of Ardbeg over Laphroaig for an Islay.

  6. #1596
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    579

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Spent a night with a friend and as we talked we compared Laphroaig 10 with Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

    The Quarter Cask was the winner: more nuance, more layers. There's some sweetness and richness within the smoke and peat. The 10 year old is heavier on the band-aids and peat, with some salt in the finish.

    I think both are pretty good, but I preferred the QB.

    I also realized again that I prefer the taste profile of Ardbeg over Laphroaig for an Islay.
    It's amazing how much better laphroaig gets once you go up the line. The 10 is a great entry level scotch but is definitely on the more peaty side when compared to the others. The Quarter Cask is a big step up for a bit more coin and the 18 is some really special stuff. It seems like the 18 with 8 extra years over the 10 mellows out a bit more, picking up more of the wood elements while shedding some of the peat characteristics.

  7. #1597
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Strange... I prefer the standard 10 over the Quarter Cask. Can't quite put my finger on why, though.

  8. #1598
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massillon, Oh.
    Posts
    1,244

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    I find that I tend to like the younger Islays (10 - 12 years) over the the older ones. The peat and smoke mellow with more aging. I guess I just really like the intense peat/smoke in the younger whiskies.

    That doesn't mean I don't like or appreciate the older stuff.... I do!

  9. #1599
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Ardbeg Uigeadail!!

  10. #1600
    Taster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Southern, NH
    Posts
    85

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Ardbeg Uigeadail!!

    Funny I revisted my bottle of "Uigie" 2 days ago as well. Prompted my purchase yesterday of Ardbeg Alligator.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Enjoying Whiskey writting and my Wonderful Dog Nikki
    By dave ziegler in forum History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 04:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top