Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 171 of 243 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2424
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    If you haven't already done so, I'd seek out Yamazaki 12 and give it a spin. That's a very fine whisky at an affordable price. To a person, everyone that's sampled it at my house has been pleasantly surprised, if not downright impressed, by its quality.
    +1 on unclebunk's recommendation - I tried the Hakushu 12 the other day and that's a tasty dram as well.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    If you haven't already done so, I'd seek out Yamazaki 12 and give it a spin. That's a very fine whisky at an affordable price. To a person, everyone that's sampled it at my house has been pleasantly surprised, if not downright impressed, by its quality.
    Thanks for the rec, Hank. I most certainly will! I almost always find that I like the whiskies, beers, and other spirits that you enjoy, so I'm sure I'll like the Yamazaki, too!

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Thanks for the rec, Hank. I most certainly will! I almost always find that I like the whiskies, beers, and other spirits that you enjoy, so I'm sure I'll like the Yamazaki, too!

Hey Joe, that's because we're long lost twins! But seriously though, I was skeptical myself when I first approached Japanese single malts, erroneously believing that their products would be nothing more than decent approximations of the real thing. But I have to say that I was flat-out wrong and, as might be expected, the Japanese have demonstrated such dedication and commitment to crafting quality whiskies that their products are now world class, IMO. I honestly believe you'll love the Yamazaki 12--it's so well-balanced, rich and delicious that I'm ready to pour one now. And after my next bank heist, I'll let you know what I think of Yamazaki 18!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or ... Scotland-like weather moved in today, so this seemed an appropriate choice. Nice floral & citrus nose, sweet/spice entry, honey, and pretty full on the palate (46% abv), and a malty, dry finish with a bit of milk chocolate.

Really hit the spot ...
    Mark

Guru
    From earlier in the evening, Laphroaig 18... It's always nice rounding 3rd base to come home to Islay!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

This Glenfarclas 1974 vintage is killing me. It's cask strength at 114.8pf, I have never tasted a whisky like it. I am very much a scotch novice, and this is basically my re-introduction to the influence of sherry barrels on scotch, and at 31yo, I do believe it is the oldest spirit I've ever had the pleasure of. It's a deep, dark brown, rich and russet. The nose makes me think of a fine cigar dipped in sherry. It has a malty sweet funk to it that is supremely satisfying to me, and the finish is very much the juice of a salted, nutty fruit I have missed out on.

This tastes like old man scotch. I'm not an old man, but drinking this stuff makes me feel like I deserve to boss people around in my pajamas and robe as I recline in my polished wood chair by my large fireplace and reminisce about the days when the British Empire was still the final authority in the world.

I also grabbed the 10yo, which I also enjoyed. It's definitely more assertive than other malts I've had in that age range, and is a very nice representative of scotch at $45. I find much more drama in bourbon and rye at that price point, so I usually stay away from scotch for everyday drinking.

This whole extra-aged scotch thing. Yeah. I could get used to it. Yeah. Ugh...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    From earlier in the evening, Laphroaig 18... It's always nice rounding 3rd base to come home to Islay!
    I cracked open a Laphroaig 18 the other night and forgot just how amazing this pour is.

Plenty of salt and iodine that marry beautifully with an earthy, peaty undertone. Balanced is the best word to describe this dram. Wonderful creamy and silky smooth mouth feel, something you just can't get from corn. A very satisfying SMS.

Froaig 18 is dangerously drinkable....
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    I cracked open a Laphroaig 18 the other night and forgot just how amazing this pour is.

Plenty of salt and iodine that marry beautifully with an earthy, peaty undertone. Balanced is the best word to describe this dram. Wonderful creamy and silky smooth mouth feel, something you just can't get from corn. A very satisfying SMS.

Total BS...that stuff is horrible and should say on the other side of the pond!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    My thoughts exactly!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    My thoughts exactly!
    Me too. I had a couple of pours of this at a buddy's house, and found it to be a fantastic whiskey.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama