Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 173 of 243 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 2424
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I like the LE Arbegs like Uigedail and Alligator much more than their standard 10yo. I'm a fan of Bruichladdich's Octomores, but I'm afraid to say that I was really unimpressed with the Laphroaig 10yo and and Lagavulin 16yo. I did pick up a Binny's Duncan Taylor NC2 of a 13yo Laphroaig that is quite delicious. It just has a much finer point on the camphor/medicinal qualities that turn me off in the standard bottlings. Perhaps the higher ABV helps as well.
    Yikes! Unimpressed with Laphroaig 10 and Lagavulin 16? You're in a small minority, my friend! Have you tried the Laphroaig Quarter Cask yet, Aaron? I really loved that one and found it even better than the Cask Strength, but I guess that finding would put me in the minority as well.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I wonder if it's that the Laph 10 and Lag 16 are too watered down for your palate. The Lag 16 is my favorite scotch, but I find it pretty thin at times.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I wonder if it's that the Laph 10 and Lag 16 are too watered down for your palate. The Lag 16 is my favorite scotch, but I find it pretty thin at times.
    That's how I often feel about Ardbeg 10, so these days I go for the Uigedail when Ardbeg beckons.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    That's how I often feel about Ardbeg 10, so these days I go for the Uigedail when Ardbeg beckons.
    Have you had the Supernova? It's very similar to the regular 10 year except much higher in proof and a bit smokier. The phenol content is like 3 times what it is in the 10 year, but to be honest, I found that the increase in proof made more of a difference to me.

Connoisseur
    Oh young grasshoppers.....where do I begin?

The older Islay expressions are nowhere near "in-your-face" peat. You just haven't had the pleasure of sampling a large variety yet.

I've had a 38yr Bunnahabhain that Jeffrey Topping of Wild Scotsman was so kind enough to give me that would curl your toes. And yes, the peat was VERY tame.

A Laphroaig QC is certainly nothing to shy away from. The phenol content is minimal compared to some. Most Ardbeg's have higher peat levels in their traditional expressions than most. But offerings like the Octomore releases by Bruichladdie take peat to a whole new level.

If Laphroaig 10yr is in the 40ppm range.....some of the Octomore's get in the 300+ppm range. How's that for perspective?

And while they may be a one-trick-pony.....they're still worth tasting. Trust me. Like a firecracker in your mouth.....you've never tasted anything like it.

THAT, my friends, is "in-your-face" peat.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

A lot of variety tonight. Some scotch, tequila and bourbon...

A fine night of tasting with SOB:

1. Embajador Mezcal
    2. Angel's Envy
    3. SB Blend
    4. Aberlour
    5. Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
    6. Glenfiddich 15
    7. Balvenie 17 Peated Cask
    8. Great King Street
    9. OF Birthday Bourbon
    10. Elijah Craig 18
    11. Crotalo Anejo
    12. Cuervo Tradicional Reposado
    13. JLP Reposado
    14. Partida Anejo
    15. Fina Estampa Blanco
    16. Pura Vida Blanco
    17. Don Julio 70th
    18. 4 Copas Blanco
    19. Chaya Blanco (15-19 done in blind tasting)
    20. Aberlour 12
    21. Tequileno 50th Ann. Anejo
    22. El Ultimo Blanco

Obviously everything is a small sampling, but really a great variety of tastings done tonight. Twins victory and good basketball. A good night all around.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    If Laphroaig 10yr is in the 40ppm range.....some of the Octomore's get in the 300+ppm range. How's that for perspective?
    Oh my ... now that IS frightening!

Maybe I will open up that Laphroaig QC, if you think it will be less of a phenolically experience than the 10 y.o. - it is that medicinal element that holds me back more than the smokey notes.

Do you eventually lose your ability to discern the higher peating levels? In other words, would an Octomore really taste 7-8 times more intense than a Laphroaig 10? Or do you eventually reach a point of saturation (which, by the way, is not a point I care to reach, at least at this point!)

Thanks ... good to hear from someone with more experience with these big Islays. How would you compare the phenolics between a Lagavulin 16 and the Laphroaig QC?
    Mark

Guru

Earlier this morning I had a wee bit of Redbreast CS. What a treat. Too bad all mornings don't start this way.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Oh my ... now that IS frightening!

Maybe I will open up that Laphroaig QC, if you think it will be less of a phenolically experience than the 10 y.o. - it is that medicinal element that holds me back more than the smokey notes.

Do you eventually lose your ability to discern the higher peating levels? In other words, would an Octomore really taste 7-8 times more intense than a Laphroaig 10? Or do you eventually reach a point of saturation (which, by the way, is not a point I care to reach, at least at this point!)

Thanks ... good to hear from someone with more experience with these big Islays. How would you compare the phenolics between a Lagavulin 16 and the Laphroaig QC?
    Actually, you definitely will not be getting away from the phenolics with the Laphroaig QC. That's just a flavor/aroma that you either love or hate. (Or in my case, came to love over time.) As to whiskies such as Octomore, I'm of two minds about super hyper-peated malts. While I enjoy tasting them, I often find myself asking, "What's the point?" Any fool can over-peat a whisky, just as any brewer can over-hop an IPA. But to achieve a unique characteristic that is in harmony with the rest of what's in the glass is the sign of a true classic, in my book. Which is why Ardbeg Uigeadail has so much appeal to me. But others will no doubt see it differently.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Have you had the Supernova? It's very similar to the regular 10 year except much higher in proof and a bit smokier. The phenol content is like 3 times what it is in the 10 year, but to be honest, I found that the increase in proof made more of a difference to me.
    I have had Supernova but was "well oiled" when I did, so don't remember much about it. It's one of those bottles on my short list to be purchased in the near future.