Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 174 of 243 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2424
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Actually, you definitely will not be getting away from the phenolics with the Laphroaig QC. That's just a flavor/aroma that you either love or hate. (Or in my case, came to love over time.) As to whiskies such as Octomore, I'm of two minds about super hyper-peated malts. While I enjoy tasting them, I often find myself asking, "What's the point?" Any fool can over-peat a whisky, just as any brewer can over-hop an IPA. But to achieve a unique characteristic that is in harmony with the rest of what's in the glass is the sign of a true classic, in my book. Which is why Ardbeg Uigeadail has so much appeal to me. But others will no doubt see it differently.
    I certainly wouldn't disagree with you. The Octomores (despite what some writers may say), IMHO, are a one-trick pony......but a damned good one. The Octomore Orpheus 2.2 at 140ppm is one of my favorite highly peated Islays but often carries a price tag that is difficult to justify. If you ever get the chance to try it, I'd recommend doing so. They're a very unique one-trick pony.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Oh my ... now that IS frightening!

Maybe I will open up that Laphroaig QC, if you think it will be less of a phenolically experience than the 10 y.o. - it is that medicinal element that holds me back more than the smokey notes.

Do you eventually lose your ability to discern the higher peating levels? In other words, would an Octomore really taste 7-8 times more intense than a Laphroaig 10? Or do you eventually reach a point of saturation (which, by the way, is not a point I care to reach, at least at this point!)

Thanks ... good to hear from someone with more experience with these big Islays. How would you compare the phenolics between a Lagavulin 16 and the Laphroaig QC?
    It won't be less "phenolic" per se, just different than the standard 10yr. I've read all sorts of theories and opinions on the effect of QC maturation and the possible pros and cons of doing so. Let your palate be the judge and form your own opinion. If you like it, great. If not, no biggie.

Over time, yes, your palate will become muddled with the peat and you'll lose your ability to discern anything else. But in the beginning, 10/10 times you could blindly pick out an Octomore over a Laphroaig just by peat alone. It's that substantial. After 3 or 4 or 10 (everyone's palate is different), you probably couldn't tell because there would be so much residual oils in your mouth. You'd have trouble identifying a bourbon from a scotch after several pours of Octomore. It's definitely a "save this one for last" dram.

If its the medicinal/band-aid/iodine notes you find off-puting, you should probably stay away from Islays. The medicinal notes don't come and go with various releases.....they're a part of the Islay terroir. If you enjoy some peat in your glass but want to skip on the medicine and iodine, I'd suggest some Highland peated malts. Ardmore Traditonal Cask would be a great one to start with. Highland Park, though not as peated, is very nice as well.

Phenol content of Laphraoig 10 and Lagavulin 16 are almost identical. Both in the 40ppm range. Ardbeg 10 would be the heaviest peated standard release on the island in the 50+ range.

Keep in mind there are a few different ways to measure how "smoky" a whisky is. You can Google the methods but basically you can either measure the malted barley itself after it has been dried by the kilns, or the spirit after distillation. Remember that ppm levels will drop over time.

This article might explain things in a little more detail.

http://www.whisky-news.com/En/report...phenol_ppm.pdf

Cheers!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Great information, thank you!
    Mark

Connoisseur

I was kn Halifax NS this past week and tried tne Balblair 16. And enjoyed it immensely. Going to see if i can track a bottle down.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I was kn Halifax NS this past week and tried tne Balblair 16. And enjoyed it immensely. Going to see if i can track a bottle down.
    I have Balblair 97. I like it quite a bit. A decent price too.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru
    Clynelish 14 & Ardbeg Alligator tonight - tasty
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Clynelish 14 & Ardbeg Alligator tonight - tasty
    I enjoy Clynelish 14 as well. We had a blazing hot evening two nights ago and were drinking tequila and Mexican beer. But last night the temps plummeted so we went to Orkney: HP12 and 18 with some very tasty Skull Splitter on the side. Great whisky, great beer!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I enjoy Clynelish 14 as well. We had a blazing hot evening two nights ago and were drinking tequila and Mexican beer. But last night the temps plummeted so we went to Orkney: HP12 and 18 with some very tasty Skull Splitter on the side. Great whisky, great beer!
    I need to put my bottle of HP18 back into the rotation - I just have too many bottles open at the moment (apparently a common SB condition)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Finally opened my bottle of Abelour a'bunadh batch 16. This one was bottled at 59.6 % abv. I was horrified by the overpowering taste of kerosene and muriatic acid with a wee hint of ammonia. My batch 13 was smooth and fruity and I was expecting a similar experience. I decided to add some filtered water to tame the beast. After cutting it, I dove back in only to bail back out with my inward self feeling like I swallowed ground glass. My mother always accused me of being stubborn but I look at it like I paid $65 for this bottle so I'm going to find a way to drink it. I went with a 40% mix with water and finally I could taste the Abelour I've always liked. Unfortunately, there is a persistent harshness that usually comes with alcohol found in a mason jar with no label. Final verdict- mixer bottle not for those with a strong dislike for cleaning agents mixed with flammable fossil fuels.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Virtuoso

I'm putting the Glenfarclas 17yo through its paces. It was my first impression, and continues to be my impression on third tasting: I prefer the 10yo. Though the 17yo enhances much of what is present in the 10yo, the extra oak is hindering the mouthfeel on the 17. There's a shallowness to the 17yo that is disappointing, like the extra time in the barrels soaked up some of the oils that make the 10yo so appealing to me. It makes me wonder about their use of chill-filtering: My 10yo bottle is an older label and it tastes unchill-filtered to me, whereas I'm finding the 17yo much firmer and less viscous.

The 31yo 1974 vintage brings so much distillery character, even diluted appropriately from its 114.8pf CS form. I love the nascent attributes of this character in the 10yo, even at 80pf, but the middle ground 17yo at 86pf just isn't living up to either so far. Hopefully one of us comes around. On the other hand, $45 for the 10yo makes for a very rare enjoyable everyday pour for a scotch! I'm interested in looking into the 105, which is bottled, I believe, at 120pf and is 8-10yo whisky.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--