Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 185 of 243 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2424
    Disciple

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Ardbeg Corryvreckan - all I can say is WOW!
    Absolutely a great pour, as is the Uigeadail my two favorite Ardbegs.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Absolutely a great pour, as is the Uigeadail my two favorite Ardbegs.
    Ryan, give the "Ardbeg Day" a shot if you see it. Right on par with your 2 favorites...perhaps more balanced than both.

Enthusiast

Kornog Taouarc'h Pevared 10 SC 46% followed by
    Kornog Saint IVY 2012 59.9%

Peated whisky like the first time

Steffen

Disciple

Great Joe,always looking out with good recommendations I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Ryan, give the "Ardbeg Day" a shot if you see it. Right on par with your 2 favorites...perhaps more balanced than both.
    Agreed. I'd take the Day over the others.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

Enjoying a dram of Aberlour a'bunadh. This bottle's been neglected for too long, but even at about 25% fill level for the last 8-12 months it still tastes great. I just ordered some small bottles so I can start a sample library of past loves.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Agreed. I'd take the Day over the others.
    I've not tried the Corry, but I love the Oogie, and have been enjoying the Day. The bottle is getting to about 50%, so I might try to find another before it's all gone. Plus, at $75 it's cheaper than what I would have to pay for the Oogie.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I've not tried the Corry, but I love the Oogie, and have been enjoying the Day. The bottle is getting to about 50%, so I might try to find another before it's all gone. Plus, at $75 it's cheaper than what I would have to pay for the Oogie.
    Yep. It's cheaper, and better IMHO. Just a treat. Wish my bottle wasn't already empty.

Enthusiast

Broke open a Longrow 11yr Sherry Cask. Aged entirely in refill sherry, you'd never know it from the color - which is about like a very light repasodo Tequila.

On the nose - huge whiffs of coal and peat. Very "burnt earth" and phenolic. Slightly medicinal, but overall just... peat.

Taste - peat. More peat, and then... some more. A bit of coal (actual coal from a steam engine), a bit of charcoal briquets with a nice big alcohol sting (it's 57% after all) and some sweet vanilla & citrus. and lastly a big sweet cherry bomb

Finish - it's smokey & peaty with deep notes the imprint themselves on your tongue, but at the same time it's soooo sweet from the sherry. It's not balanced at all, I don't think it's supposed to be, but it goes on forever.

Overall - this is a peat-monster. I'm shocked, because while Longrow is heavily, peated, it's Springer at it's core, and Springers are typically so refined and un-brazen. Flavorful & intriguing, yes - but this brash? My first time to experience it like this. It was like being hit with a smoking two-by-four log of peat. Not smoke/BBQ mind you - but peat. Vegetal, damp rotting earth at it's finest. Almost rotten (but not in a sulfur way at all) and very earthy.

Could simply be my expectations being stretched so far by a Springbank family member that I'm exaggerating this (I've had it on 2 different days now), but from a peat perspective, I'm throwing this up against Octomore & Supernova in terms of PPM. Would love to hear any other opinions on this beast from others who have tried it - am I smoking too much peat? Is it really closer to typically Longrow peating levels, or is there's something else in the mix that's got me believing this is a peat monster my first two glasses have led me to believe it is?

Regardless, in typical Springer/Longrow fashion, this one more than please my pallet and is an easy 93 (if you don't like peat, it's would be about a 60!)

Disciple

Glenmorangie Original,this is quite a value I believe in the single malt world and is usually the threshold of which I introduce people to the wonderful world of malts.I know it is fairly simplistic and not challenging in the least, but I believe this in fact what makes it shine .