Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 186 of 243 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2424
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

After a plethora of bourbons the last week, I'm just going with a single pour of Red Breast 12 yr. Cask Strength, tonight. Unfortunately, this was the last of the many magnificent pours that this bottle has delivered. Great, great, great whiskey.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Could simply be my expectations being stretched so far by a Springbank family member that I'm exaggerating this (I've had it on 2 different days now), but from a peat perspective, I'm throwing this up against Octomore & Supernova in terms of PPM. Would love to hear any other opinions on this beast from others who have tried it - am I smoking too much peat? Is it really closer to typically Longrow peating levels, or is there's something else in the mix that's got me believing this is a peat monster my first two glasses have led me to believe it is?
    The last bottle of Longrow 10 I had tasted like vulcanized rubber. I wonder how your bottle stacks up to the Ardbeg Uigeadail or Laphroaig Triple Wood?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Picked up and tried two I have never had last night . . . the Laddie Ten and the Balvenie Carribean Cask. The Laddie Ten is really great, and I'm wondering whether I need to start hoarding it in light of the acquisition of Bruichladdich by Remy Cointreau. The Carribean Cask was decent enough . . . I'll have no problem finishing the bottle but probably won't buy it regularly.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    The last bottle of Longrow 10 I had tasted like vulcanized rubber. I wonder how your bottle stacks up to the Ardbeg Uigeadail or Laphroaig Triple Wood?
    Much, much peatier - and the sherry influence is much reduced (especially from Uigeadail) - the color is so pale. The sherry only reveals itself on the finish with a nice sweet hit; it's not nearly as integrated as with either Uigie or 3W (and 3W, to me, is pretty light on the sherry).

Vulcanized rubber applies, too - but not quite that chemically. More actual "earth" than man-made type flavors/smells. I've had many a bottle of the Longrow 10 - but I bunkered a bunch a while back when it was on sale ($69!), so I've not had a release from the last 18 months at least - and while peaty, it was more smokey & briny - like a traditional Springer profile, just amped up.

Perhaps they are shifting the profile to be even more peat-influenced overall for this expression?

Guru
    Thx for your thoughts on this one timd! I will probably get a bottle.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Had a wonderful pour of Springbank 18 last night. What an amazingly complex, light - yet rich (?!?) dram. This was a gift, and I cherish every pour and try to make this bottle last!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Much, much peatier - and the sherry influence is much reduced (especially from Uigeadail) - the color is so pale. The sherry only reveals itself on the finish with a nice sweet hit; it's not nearly as integrated as with either Uigie or 3W (and 3W, to me, is pretty light on the sherry).

Vulcanized rubber applies, too - but not quite that chemically. More actual "earth" than man-made type flavors/smells. I've had many a bottle of the Longrow 10 - but I bunkered a bunch a while back when it was on sale ($69!), so I've not had a release from the last 18 months at least - and while peaty, it was more smokey & briny - like a traditional Springer profile, just amped up.

Perhaps they are shifting the profile to be even more peat-influenced overall for this expression?
    I opened up my first Longrow 10/100 last week and had a few. It had the same fresh, lively, just perfectly aggressive character I love in the Springbank 10/100, but with a mild salty, smoky, rough peat edge to it. The peat adds a grizzled dimension to what I find to be a deeply satisfying innocence in the Springer 10/100, but it in no way overpowered the honest liveliness, and I got no sense of the 'vulcanized rubber' referenced. It didn't come close to the dirty peat blasts of Ardbeg or Laphroaig.

Tim, do you know if they have stopped bottling the Longrow 10/100 like they have the Springbank 10/100? If so, I may just have to jump on the bottle I left on the shelf...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Tim, do you know if they have stopped bottling the Longrow 10/100 like they have the Springbank 10/100? If so, I may just have to jump on the bottle I left on the shelf...
    Haven't heard anything about Longrow 10/100 going away. Given it's typical price (over $100 for a 10yr), it's not a big seller. I doubt they will run low on stocks. They only distill Longrow (and Hazelburn) a tiny portion of the time they are running. So, while it's certainly a limited supply item, the demand, IMHO, is equally low - that is until more people find out about it and it becomes the Pappy of Scotch (which it already is, to me!).

When I find it on sale, I tend to buy 2-3 bottles at a shot. It's certainly not a "common" bottling at your everyday liquor store, but most any of them could order it in if you ask. I've never had any problem finding it - just finding it at the right price.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I opened up my first Longrow 10/100 last week and had a few. It had the same fresh, lively, just perfectly aggressive character I love in the Springbank 10/100, but with a mild salty, smoky, rough peat edge to it. The peat adds a grizzled dimension to what I find to be a deeply satisfying innocence in the Springer 10/100, but it in no way overpowered the honest liveliness, and I got no sense of the 'vulcanized rubber' referenced. It didn't come close to the dirty peat blasts of Ardbeg or Laphroaig.
    That description sounds exactly like the Longrow 10/100 I know and love. My Sherry Single Barrel, however is a different beast altogether... It's still very, very good - fantastic actually - but well outside of the Longrow house profile I'm familiar with.

Connoisseur

Lag 16 and Talisker 10. Unlike most scotches, I think the Talisker gets better after opening. When I first opened it, all I got was young barley. I still think it tastes too young, embarrassingly so to a bourbon lover, but it's softened up and the sharp barley has given way to yummy marshmallow with a touch of diesel fuel. Which sounds bizarre...

Lag 16 would be the perfect whisky at 46-50%. I've got nothing else to say about it that would give any insight.