Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 188 of 243 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2424
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    Aberlour 12-year. It's like getting the Balvenie 12-year Signature, for $25 less. Ample bourbon and sherry notes, with a hearty, healthy, voluptuous body. I don't really care much for Glenlivet, its sister distillery-- but this one is a real "sleeper!"
    My sentiments as well. I still have a few Aberlour 10's around and hit the 12 regularly as well. But it's the 16 that really kills me every time. That whole line is really terrific if you don't mind a bit of sherry in the mix. Great stuff!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IowaJeff View Post
    I had my first pour of Redbreast 12 cask strength, and had I been wearing socks, they would have been knocked off. I'm already a little sad that this bottle is going to be eventually empty and I've just started it. I'd put this up with the best whiskeys I've had, be it bourbon, rye, scotch, or irish. Its creamy, then fruity, then lightly oaky - and all as clean and crisp as an Irish priest's collar on Sunday morning.
    Well said and right on the money. The RCS is a modern classic in my book and worth stockpiling when the sales roll around. To a person, everyone that I've turned on to it has absolutely loved it.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    My sentiments as well. I still have a few Aberlour 10's around and hit the 12 regularly as well. But it's the 16 that really kills me every time. That whole line is really terrific if you don't mind a bit of sherry in the mix. Great stuff!
    Agree Aberlour might be my favorite overall scotch line. If I had to keep just one around at all times, it would be Aberlour 12 for $33. It's good with just about everything.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Agree Aberlour might be my favorite overall scotch line. If I had to keep just one around at all times, it would be Aberlour 12 for $33. It's good with just about everything.
    That's a GREAT price! At $33 you absolutely can't beat it. Oddly, I have a friend who's a single malt fiend and he turns his nose up to all Aberlours for some reason. More for me, I guess!

Virtuoso

I went back to an old favorite tonight... Highland Park 12.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Hah! Same here. So much to love.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I've still got an open "old" bottle of HP12 that a Scottish friend brought me as a gift approximately six years ago. It is a litre bottle and shaped quite differently than the current bottle used by HP. It's still half full, so I'll have to do a side-by-side with a recently purchased bottle of HP12 to see how they compare.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I've still got an open "old" bottle of HP12 that a Scottish friend brought me as a gift approximately six years ago. It is a litre bottle and shaped quite differently than the current bottle used by HP. It's still half full, so I'll have to do a side-by-side with a recently purchased bottle of HP12 to see how they compare.
    I'll be interested in hearing that comparison - HP12 and HP18 are two of my favorites, but I've only had recent bottlings. I think these are both good values (even the HP18 at close to $100) but I've heard the earlier bottlings are even better.

Just getting into the Glenfarclas 12, which I've never seen up my way (only the 10, 15 and up). My first pour was great and a surprise - very similar to Macallan 12 but more of everything and no sharp edge that I get from younger Macallan now and then. More sherry, more body, more fruit, a bit of smoke on the finish - dense and well-balanced. The bottle was $50 in Cape May NJ and judging from the prices of other bottles I'm more familiar with, this might normally be around $45 - in my neck of the woods that is also cheaper than a Macallan 12.

I read this used to be a duty-free/travel bottling only - so don't know if it has been made more widely available recently.
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    I'll be interested in hearing that comparison - HP12 and HP18 are two of my favorites, but I've only had recent bottlings. I think these are both good values (even the HP18 at close to $100) but I've heard the earlier bottlings are even better.

Just getting into the Glenfarclas 12, which I've never seen up my way (only the 10, 15 and up). My first pour was great and a surprise - very similar to Macallan 12 but more of everything and no sharp edge that I get from younger Macallan now and then. More sherry, more body, more fruit, a bit of smoke on the finish - dense and well-balanced. The bottle was $50 in Cape May NJ and judging from the prices of other bottles I'm more familiar with, this might normally be around $45 - in my neck of the woods that is also cheaper than a Macallan 12.

I read this used to be a duty-free/travel bottling only - so don't know if it has been made more widely available recently.
    I'll let you know about the older/current HP12 comparison when I do it. The Glenfarclas line is well-regarded and generally pretty affordable. I've only ever owned the 10, 12 and 15 and enjoyed them all. I'm partial to 10 year olds and am saddened by the trend to eliminate them in favor of 12 year olds, so I continue to replace my Glenfarclas 10, Aberlour 10, etc. when I kill a bottle off. I'm also glad I picked up three or four bottles of Balvenie 10 Founders Reserve before it disappeared because that was another affordable gem at $30-$35. We were getting HP12 for $37-$38 before Illinois did their big tax hike on alcohol a short while ago. Despite the hike it's still one of the best values around at $40-$42.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 08-14-2012 at 15:59.

Advanced Taster

Ardbeg 10 year....

.....Ardbeg!