Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 189 of 243 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2424
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Bastille 1789 French whisky. Very unusual stuff. Sort of like a cross between Canadian whisky, gin, and Grand Marnier. A lot better than it sounds! Very smooth, wamring. Highly drinkable.

Enthusiast

Full disclosure, I am a few and far between scotch drinker. I like it, but need to be in the mood. Recently, on the advice of the store expert, I bought a bottle of Auchentoshan Valinch. It is a cask strength, non chill filtered edition. He said it easily stood up with whiskeys twice the price. I broke into it last night, and wow, was he right. Needed a little water for my taste, but boy, was that a fine dram. Not too much peat, but very complex, a SMOOTH! Beautiful expression, highly recommended.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    Full disclosure, I am a few and far between scotch drinker. I like it, but need to be in the mood. Recently, on the advice of the store expert, I bought a bottle of Auchentoshan Valinch. It is a cask strength, non chill filtered edition. He said it easily stood up with whiskeys twice the price. I broke into it last night, and wow, was he right. Needed a little water for my taste, but boy, was that a fine dram. Not too much peat, but very complex, a SMOOTH! Beautiful expression, highly recommended.
    This one took me a while, but in the end I decided it was a lousy whisky. Maybe I just had a bad bottle, but it tasted like flowers. No balance whatsoever.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Damn! I've been staring at a bottle of this Auchentoshan at my local shop for months, wondering if I should pull the trigger. Now, I'm doubly confused!!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

John Begg Blue Cap. Drinking dusties tonight.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Damn! I've been staring at a bottle of this Auchentoshan at my local shop for months, wondering if I should pull the trigger. Now, I'm doubly confused!!!
    But which Auchentoshan? Some are much better than others.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist last night at a local restaurant and it was" peat o' licious."

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist last night at a local restaurant and it was" peat o' licious."
    I've been looking for a bottle of that for some time now... I want to try the blend in this blog post:

http://www.cooperedtot.com/2012/08/t...at-ardbeg.html
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Wow. That is crazy. Has me wondering what would happen if you tried to vat a Laphroaig Cairdeas and a Lagavulin 12. Two highly peated Ardbegs vatted to produce a gently peated dram? This concept needs its own thread ...
    Mark

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Wow. That is crazy. Has me wondering what would happen if you tried to vat a Laphroaig Cairdeas and a Lagavulin 12. Two highly peated Ardbegs vatted to produce a gently peated dram? This concept needs its own thread ...
    It's a fascinating result for sure! I wonder if it's kind of a "Tacoma Narrows Bridge" thing because all the elements in play come together perfectly to produce an unexpected outcome?

I am certainly going to try reproducing the effects with other peated malt combinations.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof