Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 190 of 243 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 2424
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist last night at a local restaurant and it was" peat o' licious."
    That is a quality pour and one I frequently bunker. I really enjoy it.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    Full disclosure, I am a few and far between scotch drinker. I like it, but need to be in the mood. Recently, on the advice of the store expert, I bought a bottle of Auchentoshan Valinch. It is a cask strength, non chill filtered edition. He said it easily stood up with whiskeys twice the price. I broke into it last night, and wow, was he right. Needed a little water for my taste, but boy, was that a fine dram. Not too much peat, but very complex, a SMOOTH! Beautiful expression, highly recommended.
    A peated Auchentoshan??? I know Bladnoch has some peated expressions but I was unaware Auchentoshan did.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Way too much Ardmore Trad Cask last night...and paying for it today.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Figure I'd finish up the night with a small pour of Aberlour a'bunadh. Closes things up nicely.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

The Voshole

Opened a Redbreast 15 today. Wow, this is a wonderfully dangerous bottle to have around.

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Broke open a Longrow 11yr Sherry Cask. Aged entirely in refill sherry, you'd never know it from the color - which is about like a very light repasodo Tequila.

On the nose - huge whiffs of coal and peat. Very "burnt earth" and phenolic. Slightly medicinal, but overall just... peat.

Taste - peat. More peat, and then... some more. A bit of coal (actual coal from a steam engine), a bit of charcoal briquets with a nice big alcohol sting (it's 57% after all) and some sweet vanilla & citrus. and lastly a big sweet cherry bomb

Finish - it's smokey & peaty with deep notes the imprint themselves on your tongue, but at the same time it's soooo sweet from the sherry. It's not balanced at all, I don't think it's supposed to be, but it goes on forever.

Overall - this is a peat-monster. I'm shocked, because while Longrow is heavily, peated, it's Springer at it's core, and Springers are typically so refined and un-brazen. Flavorful & intriguing, yes - but this brash? My first time to experience it like this. It was like being hit with a smoking two-by-four log of peat. Not smoke/BBQ mind you - but peat. Vegetal, damp rotting earth at it's finest. Almost rotten (but not in a sulfur way at all) and very earthy.

Could simply be my expectations being stretched so far by a Springbank family member that I'm exaggerating this (I've had it on 2 different days now), but from a peat perspective, I'm throwing this up against Octomore & Supernova in terms of PPM. Would love to hear any other opinions on this beast from others who have tried it - am I smoking too much peat? Is it really closer to typically Longrow peating levels, or is there's something else in the mix that's got me believing this is a peat monster my first two glasses have led me to believe it is?

Regardless, in typical Springer/Longrow fashion, this one more than please my pallet and is an easy 93 (if you don't like peat, it's would be about a 60!)
    I'm drinking a glass of this as I type, and I have to say, this is the stuff of dreams. I don't get as much peat as you opine about, at least not in the sense that talk about. I get A LOT of earth, but it's beautifully balanced by briny, jellied fruit. It's very interesting how all spice in this ignites and then quickly expires like dirt dumped on a flame, but the sweet, briny fruit bounces back in to fill in any empty spaces. I really, really love the spongey nature of this whisky that surrounds a still unadulterated Springbank center.

I still consider myself a malt noob, but for me right now, this is bunker material.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I get A LOT of earth, but it's beautifully balanced by briny, jellied fruit. It's very interesting how all spice in this ignites and then quickly expires like dirt dumped on a flame, but the sweet, briny fruit bounces back in to fill in any empty spaces. I really, really love the spongey nature of this whisky that surrounds a still unadulterated Springbank center.
    I may have to spring for a bottle of this!
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 08-19-2012 at 22:02.
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Was in San Francisco on Saturday and got to try quite a few drams I'd never had before:

Laphroaig Triple Wood
    Kilchoman Machir Bay
    Glenfarclas 17

Even got to try Nikka Black, which was quite nice.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    A peated Auchentoshan??? I know Bladnoch has some peated expressions but I was unaware Auchentoshan did.
    Dont get too excited, I may have mislead do to inexperience in terminology. it has some faint smokiness, no more.

Enthusiast

Ardbeg Uigeadail. My first try at an Islay malt. Different, to say the least. But I "think" I like it. Time will tell for sure.