Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 191 of 243 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2424
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Balvenie Double Wood, this evening.

Virtuoso

Back to the Glenfarclas 12 ...
    Mark

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    Dont get too excited, I may have mislead do to inexperience in terminology. it has some faint smokiness, no more.
    Well damn! I was all excited to try a peated Auchentoshan expression!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I'm drinking a glass of this as I type, and I have to say, this is the stuff of dreams. I don't get as much peat as you opine about, at least not in the sense that talk about. I get A LOT of earth, but it's beautifully balanced by briny, jellied fruit. It's very interesting how all spice in this ignites and then quickly expires like dirt dumped on a flame, but the sweet, briny fruit bounces back in to fill in any empty spaces. I really, really love the spongey nature of this whisky that surrounds a still unadulterated Springbank center.

I still consider myself a malt noob, but for me right now, this is bunker material.
    I'll add my $0.02 to the mix and just an FYI, I tasted this completely blind. Had no clue what it was.

Color: Very light yellow.

Nose: Earth. Dirt. Decaying vegetation. Light smoke. Wet leaves and potting soil mix.

Taste: Wow, a blast of soot, dirt, and ash, like I just fell face first in a spent firepit with my mouth wide open. Yum! Over cooked vegetables. Light smoke and a dash of salt. Damp tree bark.

Finish: A bit peppery with lingering vegetation notes. Dried earth. A salty aftertaste that leaves you a bit parched for water.

Rating: This might be the earthiest dram I've ever had. Just a mouthful of dirt. A bit on the excessive side but I admire the uniqueness. Did they throw dirt in the cask? Mmmm. I'm scoring this one a 91.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345515303.701122.jpg
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Well damn! I was all excited to try a peated Auchentoshan expression!
    Sorry! I do highly recommend this though; simply a fantastic whiskey, especially at the price point- about $65 in DC.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Ardbeg Uigeadail. My first try at an Islay malt. Different, to say the least. But I "think" I like it. Time will tell for sure.
    Give it time and a few more spins. AU is an awesome whisky and once you're into that level of peat/smoke, there's no turning back. You'll be craving all things Islay before long and your wallet will be cryin'!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    I'll add my $0.02 to the mix and just an FYI, I tasted this completely blind. Had no clue what it was.

Color: Very light yellow.

Nose: Earth. Dirt. Decaying vegetation. Light smoke. Wet leaves and potting soil mix.

Taste: Wow, a blast of soot, dirt, and ash, like I just fell face first in a spent firepit with my mouth wide open. Yum! Over cooked vegetables. Light smoke and a dash of salt. Damp tree bark.

Finish: A bit peppery with lingering vegetation notes. Dried earth. A salty aftertaste that leaves you a bit parched for water.

Rating: This might be the earthiest dram I've ever had. Just a mouthful of dirt. A bit on the excessive side but I admire the uniqueness. Did they throw dirt in the cask? Mmmm. I'm scoring this one a 91.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345515303.701122.jpg
    Nice tasting note there, Josh. Hard to go wrong with Springbank/Longrow, that's for sure!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I had the AD Rattray 21 year Auchentoshan last night. The nose was superb, the initial taste was good and the later tastes were ultra-malty and not so good. I need to give it another shot, but as of right now I'm kind of disappointed for the price of $75.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist last night at a local restaurant and it was" peat o' licious."
    One of the best Ardbeg expressions! I know this bottle gets criticized for having less peatiness and punch-in-the-face than other Ardbegs, but then again, Pappy 20 also gets criticized for being "too smooth".

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    One of the best Ardbeg expressions! I know this bottle gets criticized for having less peatiness and punch-in-the-face than other Ardbegs, but then again, Pappy 20 also gets criticized for being "too smooth".
    The Ardbeg was paired with a Kobe burger and Maytag Blue Cheese potatoes nice play on all the flavors,really came together, a true umami for the soul.