Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 201 of 243 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2424
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Last night I took a rare dip into a Springbank Society 11yo Local Barley bottling that was finished in re-charred sherry butts. Man I love this stuff. It has a deep earthy minerality that is lifted by fruity malt sherry influence. I wish I could get more.

After dinner I had a pour of Laddie 10. I think there's something wrong with my bottle. I've thought it from the moment I opened it, and it is confirmed each time I pour from it. It has that somewhat gamey quality that I associate with cork taint. I opened it right after I opened an awfully corked Springbank 10/100, so I tried to ignore it, in disbelief that I could open two whiskies gone bad in a row. Really disappointing. I never have this problem with bourbon...

I finished the night on a high note with Ardbeg Day. This bottle has really grown on me over the last few months. I think I can say I have officially acquired a taste for the richly sweet sherry finish on top of the earthy smoke of the peat; it's like smoking a cigar dipped in sherry. I'm heading out to look for more sherry finished Islay. Like, now.
    My Laddie 10 had an "off note" as well Aaron. I don't think it was just your bottle.

And the Ardbeg Day is delicious!!! Welcome to the club!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I know a place that has four of these on the shelf for $85, and I think it might be worth the $30 premium over the Uigedail, considering its not going to be around forever.
    I'd gobble those up ASAP. The Ugi is going to be around for awhile. The Day is a limited release. I'm amazed there are any still sitting on shelves.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

The Voshole

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

A nice Islay night.... Laphroaig Cairdeas, Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg Alligator
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    A nice Islay night.... Laphroaig Cairdeas, Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg Alligator
    Good man. That's a nice line-up. What do you think of the Cairdeas?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Did some scotch tasting last night. Really enjoyed the Compass Box Oak Cross. Also had Glendronach 12, Laddie 10, Macallan 12, Ancnoc 12, and a few others I can't remember. It's always harder to remember when you do a blind tasting. The Macallan was a cut above the other 12 year olds.
    -SOB-

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I had a bottle of Cairdeas 2012 in October, sadly it didn't make it out of the month. I thought it was a real cracker of a whisky. Bright and friendly. Like a slightly less full throttle Uigeadail.

Tonight I'm going to drink a Balvenie 15 Year Single Barrel.

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    What do I think? I think I should've bought more of it. Its a little young, but very good. Also have some of the Cairdeas Origin from this year but haven't opened it yet to compare with last years
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Disciple

A nice big pour of Redbreast 12 to kick off the weekend.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post

And the Ardbeg Day is delicious!!! Welcome to the club!
    *cough*...needasample...*cough*
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I had a bottle of Cairdeas 2012 in October, sadly it didn't make it out of the month. I thought it was a real cracker of a whisky. Bright and friendly. Like a slightly less full throttle Uigeadail.

Tonight I'm going to drink a Balvenie 15 Year Single Barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    What do I think? I think I should've bought more of it. Its a little young, but very good. Also have some of the Cairdeas Origin from this year but haven't opened it yet to compare with last years
    Thanks for the info, gents. It's one I really should have pursued earlier that simply slipped under my radar for some reason. And sometimes young is good in an Islay. Gives it that extra something, right?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet