Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 210 of 243 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 2424
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Did you cry? I would have cried. Ouch, that's just horrible.

I didn't cry, but I did let out an involuntary "Ffuuuuuucckk" like Ralphie did in A Christmas Story... then washed my mouth out with some George T Stagg.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by fancypants View Post
    ... then washed my mouth out with some George T Stagg.
    That will surely learn ya!!!
    I dropped a bottle of Willet 20 yr old on my #57 stone driveway, but it only scratched the top of the bottle below the neck. I haven't opened it yet, so I hope their barrel selection meets or exceeds their bottle selection! Sorry for your loss, I will have a pour of my Lagavulin in honor of its passing tonight.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

With all of the bourbon I've been hittin' over the last week, or so, I figured I'd change it up. So, opened up the final bottle of the Glenfiddich Sampler Pack I purchase a couple of months ago. The 18 yr and 15 yr I tried previously were wonderful. Tonight, the 12 yr. It's OK...Serviceable...Decent...OK...Not offensive...Did I say OK? I don't know what the retail prices are for the Glenfiddich line, but for me, no doubt that I put out extra coin for the more aged versions over the 12 yr. And, would totally skip the 12.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Glendronach 12. Santa brought me this one because I had been wanting to try it. I have a tendency to find non-Islays boring, but there's plenty here to like. I'm enjoying it a lot and look forward to trying some of their older expressions next.

Guru

Seagrams 8 yr VO Gold

Virtuoso

The Balvenie 15 Year Single Barrel. I really love the central Balvenie profile. To me it's like vanilla bean ice cream - basic, stripped bare, and delicious. It also pairs extremely well with vanilla ice cream coincidentally.

Connoisseur

Stopped by a buddy's place on the way home from work and we quickly tasted through a Balvenie 14 Rum Cask and a Laphroiag Cairdeas. Found the Rum Cask to be a bit odd and kinda forgettable, didn't really get much sweetness or spice from the casking. Not a big Balvenie fan though. The Cairdeas was amazing on the nose, but sadly the palette was just average Laphroaig to me and the finish was surprisingly short. I wonder if a little water would have opened it up, but I often forget to try that. What can I say, I like it neat.

Virtuoso

I haven't had the rum cask, but I really loved the 2012 Cairdeas. A fruitier and more drinkable 'phroaig than the 10 year cask strength. Although that has another 6% or so depending on batch.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Lag 16 blows Froaig QC out of the water IMHO. Not even in the same league.
    With respect, I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more. While Lagavulin 16 is a classic among classics, Laphroaig QC is arguably the best of the "standard" offerings from Laphroaig and a mighty fine whisky that many consider a classic as well. It's just a matter of mood, for me. But I find comparing most Islays a difficult and sometimes unfair exercise because, in many respects, it's like comparing apples to oranges when I do. Lagavulin and Laphroaig are entirely different creatures to me, just as Highland Park 12 and Talisker 10 would be. That's not to say that I don't have favorites and a pecking order when push comes to shove, but that's more because of personal preferences than one necessarily being better than another. Know what I mean?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet