Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 214 of 243 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 2424
    Enthusiast

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

A recent discovery, and the only Scotch I have any serious experience with: The Tomatin 10. An extremely drinkable dram, at an extremely reasonable price ($22 here, + tax). It holds my interest pour after pour - nicely balanced, lots going on, smooth finish. It may soon become my first ever case quantity purchase.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Springbank 15, Highland Park 18, Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 6, Glendronach 15, Aberfeldy 21.

Just relaxing a bit before my friend's wedding =]b
    Oh, just a bit, I'll say. Nice line up!

Guru

What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Compass Box Oak Cross out of the sampler pack - may follow up with the Spice Tree
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Clontarf Irish Single Malt. ... young, super-pale, more bite than other Irish whiskeys I've had. I like it, we like it. Goes good with U2's Joshua Tree played medium loud... very nice, a movie without the visual parts.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    Clontarf Irish Single Malt. ... young, super-pale, more bite than other Irish whiskeys I've had. I like it, we like it. Goes good with U2's Joshua Tree played medium loud... very nice, a movie without the visual parts.

About two years ago a friend of mine gave me a cool "bottle" of Clontarf that was actually three bottles in one (each 250ml) that stacked on top of one another to create the illusion of a single bottle. It had the single malt, a blend and one other that I can't remember. Not bad at all for $20-ish and the last time I saw it, the stuff came in a litre bottle which adds value for dollar (yen).
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Uniquely, Clontarf uses the Jack Daniels method of filtering the new make whisky through a vat of charcoal before aging in the barrel. Can't say that I really tasted that in the three expressions (Gold Label, Black Label and Single Malt) my friends and I shared. Next time I get a chance I'll look for it.

Guru

Trying the Balvenie DoubleWood tonight. Ummmm juicy. Super pleasant and agreeable pour. Got a feeling that this one will be tough to be for the price. That being said...you all steered me right with your Islay recs, what else would you offer up along these lines?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Trying the Balvenie DoubleWood tonight. Ummmm juicy. Super pleasant and agreeable pour. Got a feeling that this one will be tough to be for the price. That being said...you all steered me right with your Islay recs, what else would you offer up along these lines?
    Balvenie DoubleWood was one of my gateway favorites into the world of whisky. I still love it all these years later and always have a bottle on hand. You may want to check out Aberlour 12 and Old Pulteney 12. They obviously don't taste alike (what would be the point, right?) but they are also easy drinkers with real character.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I find the Aberlour A'Bunadh is a nice change of pace at cask strength and a great sherry profile,it is also one I find to be a great value in the SMS world.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Virtuoso

I'm also a big fan of the A'bunadh range. I've enjoyed the 39, 32, and 41, in that order, but liked them all. Any Glenfarclas 15 years or older is a dynamite sherry Speysider. The 105 cask strength as well. When I think "super pleasant and agreeable pour" Glenfiddich 15 year solera jumps to the front of my mind. Give the Bruichladdich Laddie Ten a consideration as well.