Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 231 of 243 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2424

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Seriously contemplating cracking open my St Magdalene 19 year 1979 Vintage Rare Malts tonight as a celebratory pour! The founder of Malt Madness raves about it being one of the best malts he's had so seems apropos.

Oh and think it might be time to start a new ".. Wee dram" thread.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Seriously contemplating cracking open my St Magdalene 19 year 1979 Vintage Rare Malts tonight as a celebratory pour! The founder of Malt Madness raves about it being one of the best malts he's had so seems apropos.

Oh and think it might be time to start a new ".. Wee dram" thread.
    What are you celebrating?

Guru

What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

the Balvenie TUN 1401 Batch 3
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    the Balvenie TUN 1401 Batch 3
    So I've been nosing and sipping on this for almost two hours now... What a cracking dram!
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 03-12-2013 at 23:18.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Has anyone tried the Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel Irish Whiskey? Basically, it sounds like a "gussied up" regular Jameson, meaning select barrels of
    pot still sherry cask and "rare select grain whiskey" from ex Wild Turkey barrels...all with greater age than the standard expression but still at 40% ABV.

Most reviews say similar to the regular but more...richer, deeper etc. Some reviews say it is more "bourbon like".

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2012/02/0...irish-whiskey/

Enthusiast

Enjoying a nice pour of Redbreast 12 cask strength. A birthday gift from my brother. The gift that keeps on giving!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Has anyone tried the Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel Irish Whiskey?
    I have a bottle of this open right now. It seems to be generally priced around $40, but it is $32 by me. At $40, I'd call it a good whiskey. At $32, I'd call it a very good whiskey.

I can't help but think that Jameson saw the success of Black Bush, and wanted to emulate that. I'd say your general understanding of the Black Barrel Reserve is accurate. More age, more flavor, more complexity. Nothing earth-shattering, but a nice dram.

At this price range, I have the Black Bush ($30) and Michael Collins 10yr Single Malt ($33) open as well. Within my "window" of reaching for an Irish Whiskey (which has sadly gone way down since I caught the bourbon bug), if I wanted something sweeter and easy drinking, I would grab the Jameson BB Reserve. If I wanted something smokier and peatier and more scotchlike, I would grab the Michael Collins SM. And if I wanted something in the middle, I'd grab the Black Bush. This assumes I wouldn't just grab a basic blend off the shelf like Powers, Paddy, Clontarf or Kilbeggan.

Guru

Thanks for the info, the JSBB is going for $32.99 locally so the price appears right.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Went to a Bushmill's tasting last night at Mac McGee's new location in Roswell. Awesome place, BTW. Two stories, two bars, a second floor porch for sitting, great decor. Anywho, they were pouring Original Bushimill's, BlackBush, and the 10yr, 16yr, and 21 year. Blackbush and 16 yr were my faves. But really, the only disappointment, if you can even call it that, was the 10 yr. It was too light, and not much to it. I would take the original over it, any day. So, I'll be picking up a BB or 16yr for St Patrick's Day.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Watching the 'Dores put a thumping on my Cats, had to break into the Powers Gold Label a little early. And a little heavy.