Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 241 of 243 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 2424
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

I went all Islay last night. Started with a Lagavulin 12yo CS, which is the first bottle of Laga I've bought and has quickly endeared itself to me. Such great, luxurious balance of sweet malt, smoky vanilla tar and a spray of ocean salt. Best non-LE OB Islay bottle I've had.

I stepped it up a notch next with some Ardbeg Supernova. I have not found a groove with this guy yet. I get too much heat and lemon oil to appreciate the peat blast. I usually go for intensity in whisky, but this one is moving so fast that it's all a blur and nothing much is sticking for me.

Laphroaig Triple Wood up next. Yuck! A chemical nose turned into waxy silicone on the palate; tastes like it's been aged in a cheap plastic bottle under a hot sun. I bought it for use in a cocktail (which I do need to get around to sharing in the cocktail section here) and it works well for that, but I have no intention of drinking this stuff neat again.

I had to let Laph redeem itself after the truly unfortunate 3W, so I turned to a 13yo Duncan Taylor NC2 1B at 107°. This is the stuff! Soft, clean and oily malt with subtle sweet vanilla forming a cool bed for the distillery's own medicinal take on peat smoke. This one makes it easy to forgive Laphroaig for the 3W (though I have no intention of ever buying the 3W again).
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Thanks gents. The whisky and the bride are both excellent.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I had to let Laph redeem itself after the truly unfortunate 3W, so I turned to a 13yo Duncan Taylor NC2 1B at 107°. This is the stuff! Soft, clean and oily malt with subtle sweet vanilla forming a cool bed for the distillery's own medicinal take on peat smoke. This one makes it easy to forgive Laphroaig for the 3W (though I have no intention of ever buying the 3W again).
    Can't wait to try the DT 13 yr -thanks for scoring me one!

As for 3W, I wanted to like it - I wanted to LOVE it, actually... but it never really blew me away. I don't have nearly the negative reaction you had, I do kinda like it, but of the regular release stuff (10, QC, CS), it's my least favorite - I'd buy regular 10 over 3W. In fact I'd buy Laphroaig's sister distilleries Ardmore over 3W (for 1/2 the price). It's just OK at best.

I really do wish they'd do a regular release sherry finish, though - as some of the older stuff at CS I've tried that was sherried is beyond spectacular... I just can't afford any of them at $250-$500 a pop!

Connoisseur

What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I really do wish they'd do a regular release sherry finish, though - as some of the older stuff at CS I've tried that was sherried is beyond spectacular... I just can't afford any of them at $250-$500 a pop!
    Agreed.....this one was RIDICULOUS!!!! God I want more....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365730723.194241.jpg

And yes, that photo is in a bathroom, but it wasn't my fault DougDog had it in his closet that's right next to the bathroom and the best lit area to take a pic.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Enthusiast

After starting with some BenRiach 12 yr, because of your negative review, Aaron, I'm retrying the L3W. I see what you mean by the waxy and plastic references, but mine is not off-putting, just different. I don't think I'd buy it again, but I won't have any trouble finishing the bottle. I agree, it's probably the worst Laphroaig I've had. A shame, since for only about $15 more I could have had the 18 yr, which is my favorite Scotch of all.

Guru

I'm finishing off a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo that I bought last January for a Robert Burns Birthday celebration that I could not attend,...neat.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

Green Spot...I'm enjoying it more and more each time I try it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

It's one of the best whiskeys I've had in a long time, just great balance and a true whiskey taste - i.e., one that is not overwhelmed by wood but still is tasty with full distillery character.

Gary

Guru

Longrow 10 to kick off the evening
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

I was just drinking some Springbank and I burped and I was like, Mmmmmmm...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--