Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 101 of 243 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2424
    Guru

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Cragganmore 12 the last few nights. It was a gift from a friend and a nice one at that.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Cragganmore 12 the last few nights. It was a gift from a friend and a nice one at that.
    I've never had that one. Is it a sherry cask whisky? I'll have to pick a bottle up and give it a try, since I can get it locally.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I've never had that one. Is it a sherry cask whisky? I'll have to pick a bottle up and give it a try, since I can get it locally.
    Cragganmore 12 is not overly complex but is a very nice, well balanced Speyside that is aged in bourbon casks. Give it a try.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Cragganmore 12 is not overly complex but is a very nice, well balanced Speyside that is aged in bourbon casks. Give it a try.
    Actually, I found conflicting info regarding whether Cragganmore is aged in bourbon or sherry casks. The famed whisky writer Michael Jackson wrote in one of his books that it was all from refill sherry casks. Also someone who had once visited the distillery was told bourbon casks were only used there for blends, only refill sherry casks for single malts , yet a more recent email from Diageo states nearly the opposite. See here for more info.

Matt

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Edo - you can't go wrong with the Tyrconnell. Another one I would recommend is Redbreast 12 year, it's a very nice Irish from the Midleton Distillery. If you can find the 15 year, that one is considered even better than the 12. I haven't had that one but have a lead on a couple bottles in Ireland and hope to have those in hand mid summer.
    The Tyrconnell wasn't available to us this time, but I was able to get the last bottle on hand of Connemara Cask Strength Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey from the same distillery (Cooley) for our whiskey club. We're up to 13 or so regular members which meant I had enough funds left over to get a bottle of Blanton's Barrel Proof (dumped 12/08, 64% alc.) for comparison and enjoyment purposes this month. The pair worked out excellently side by side.

The Connemara played the role of Heaven. Drank a sip, decided it need a splash of water. Golden color. Close to 58% alcohol, a little alcohol sting in the nose. Nose: Grassy, honey, peat wisps in there somewhere, a little floral. Taste: silky, threads of peat (but not like an Islay peat bomb at all), honey, barley, vanilla, tiny bit of oak? Finish: nice and long. Light, but complex. Hang gliding (never done it, but..) ...above soft white cumulus clouds.

The Blanton's Barrel Strength played the role of Earth. Color: Clarified solution of red clay mixed with Ohio River bottom land. Nose: Despite the high proof, didn't get any alcohol sting. Instead, rich vanilla, cinnamon, bit of maple syrup. Taste: the nose gets a replay on the tongue, but at full strength, whatever alcohol was hiding from the nose ambushes the tongue. Still, for such high proof, it's well behaved. With a little water, the flavors mentioned before come out along with rye, brown sugar?. Complex, but dark, earthy. Like digging around down deep in a diamond mine somewhere (never done that either, but..)

Apprentice

Enjoying a dram of Aberlour A'Bunadh, Batch no. 21. Almost ready to add it to the Which Bottle Have You Laid To Rest? thread. This has been an outstanding bottle. I've considered picking up another bottle of Batch 21, but think I would like to try a different batch. Anyone have one they recommend? I've also tried Batch 27, but didn't like it as much as Batch 21.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by rmallen View Post
    Enjoying a dram of Aberlour A'Bunadh, Batch no. 21. Almost ready to add it to the Which Bottle Have You Laid To Rest? thread. This has been an outstanding bottle. I've considered picking up another bottle of Batch 21, but think I would like to try a different batch. Anyone have one they recommend? I've also tried Batch 27, but didn't like it as much as Batch 21.
    I really enjoyed Batch 18, but I can't compare to other batches as I haven't had the pleasure of them.

Tonight I started with some Margaritas and have moved on to some Whitehorse. This is one of my favorite inexpensive blends. There's some smoke and spice and quite smooth for such a young whiskey, a very nicely crafted blend indeed!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Disciple

Yamazaki 12 tonight. Fantastic juice.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Yamazaki 12 tonight. Fantastic juice.
    Always good to see another enthusiast on the board.

Yamazaki 12
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Connoisseur

Joe did you try the Yamazaki blending agents with the 12yr?
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!