Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 107 of 243 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 2424
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Hardy Cask, eh? You been hoarding that or something? Or did they make more of it in recently? I had a bottle a few years back (single cask version). Interesting stuff. Very closed until you add some water and then BOOM, fruit and spice exploding everywhere.

Hoarding... nope.... but I did find a place locally that has a few. so I don't know if it is an older bottling or a newer release.

And you nailed it !!!! Very closed ay first.... I didn't add any water, but I did let it sit for about 20 minutes and it was fantastic. I may go back and get another.

*EDIT* I just saw that it was bottled on 9-20-06....
    Last edited by birdman1099; 08-14-2010 at 18:10.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Connoisseur

Bladnoch 16 is the dram of the evening. An old Sheep label one at that.
    Illuminati in training

Apprentice

Enjoyed a nice dram of Bowmore Dusk while watching the PGA Championship this afternoon. Finished in Bordueaux wine casks, the characteristic Bowmore smokiness combines nicely with the wine flavors. Wish I had another bottle. I picked this one up last year at Binny's during there Scotch clearance sale for only $30..what a deal that was!

Virtuoso

Ardmore Traditional Cask, Te Bheag, and now some Peat Monster.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

I recently sampled some Tullamore Dew at a Beer, Bourbon and BBQ festival. So a few days ago I saw it in my local ABC and bought a bottle. I found it to be rather pleasant given it's an 80 proofer. Floral/vanilla nose with a semi-sweet taste with hints of honey, and a quick but pleasant sweet finish as well.

I couldn't see drinking several pours of this in an evening given how sweet it is. However, I think this would make a nice occassional after dinner pour, or one to enjoy a cigar with.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rmallen View Post
    Enjoyed a nice dram of Bowmore Dusk while watching the PGA Championship this afternoon. Finished in Bordueaux wine casks, the characteristic Bowmore smokiness combines nicely with the wine flavors. Wish I had another bottle. I picked this one up last year at Binny's during there Scotch clearance sale for only $30..what a deal that was!
    What time of year is the clearance sale.

Rene'

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mcer View Post
    What time of year is the clearance sale.

Rene'
    Last year it was September 1 - October 31. I don't know if they have one every year.

I was in the Chicago area last September. In addition to taking advantage of the Scotch clearance sale, I also attended a Scotch tasting at Binny's Naperville store. They had a good selection of single malt Scotch to sample, and it was a pretty good deal at $25 w/ Binny's card. Looks like they have a tasting planned again at the Naperville store on September 3: http://www.binnys.com/events/

Virtuoso

Having a dram of Macallan 12. I forgot I had a bottle stashed away. The sweet, sherry and toffee is a nice change of pace from the Islays I usually drink.

Enthusiast

Enjoying a warm-weather dram of Kellan Irish Whiskey (distilled by Cooley), with its sweet toffee notes and an almost cider-y sweetness.

Following that with Glenmorangie LaSanta, with its initial whiff of orange zest, followed by dates, figs, and pecans. I think I detect a hint of cacao in the finish...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    Hoarding... nope.... but I did find a place locally that has a few. so I don't know if it is an older bottling or a newer release.

And you nailed it !!!! Very closed ay first.... I didn't add any water, but I did let it sit for about 20 minutes and it was fantastic. I may go back and get another.

*EDIT* I just saw that it was bottled on 9-20-06....
    If you like it you might as well grab another to hang onto, since it was a release of fewer than 1,000 bottles if I recall correctly. There can't be many left.