Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 243 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I used to live up in Canada so I know a thing or two about the bloody state run liquor commissions and their unbelievably overpriced booze. Not only is the selection crap, what they do have is twice what we pay here in the States. If you lived south of the border you'd be drinking SMS's every day too!

The last time I was up visiting in N.S. I had to buy a bottle of J&B for $45 because anything up the quality chain would need financing. Here I could (but would never even think of buying) J&B for under $20 and 1.75L for $30.

I bought a 12 pack of Coronas there for $25 plus deposit Arrrgghh!. I can get a 24 pack here for $20 with deposit!!! It made me sick... next time I'm going up there with a van full of booze to survive the trip!
    Well, I'm glad someone here knows where I'm coming from. Every time I read about someone in the US complaining about prices, I want to say some nasty things. If I want Lagavulin 16, it will cost me $99, for instance.

Virtuoso

Tonight I started with Highland Park 18 and then enjoyed a nice smoky dram of Lagavulin 16. Life is good.

Megawatt, I can get Lagavulin here for under $60 on a bad day. My current bottle was had on sale for under $50. Is free health care really worth it ? Just kidding ya. But honestly, when I first moved down to the States I couldn't believe how affordable everything was (except housing). No GST, PST, 60% income tax, and cheap booze! Live Free or Die Baby! (the first state I lived in was New Hampshire and I loved their tag line on their plates )
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

I just purchased a bottle of Balvenie SherryOak 17-year. This is a limited edition bottling of 17-year Balvenie matured exclusively in Oloroso Sherry Butts.

It's good. REALLY good.

This one had a pleasant balance of fruit and spice-- Heather Honey in the nose, followed by notes of dried figs or dates, with a warm spiciness, like Cinnamon and Nutmeg.

I firmly believe Balvenie represents, easily, some of the best of what Speyside has to offer.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    I just purchased a bottle of Balvenie SherryOak 17-year. This is a limited edition bottling of 17-year Balvenie matured exclusively in Oloroso Sherry Butts.

It's good. REALLY good.

This one had a pleasant balance of fruit and spice-- Heather Honey in the nose, followed by notes of dried figs or dates, with a warm spiciness, like Cinnamon and Nutmeg.

I firmly believe Balvenie represents, easily, some of the best of what Speyside has to offer.
    Sounds delicious. I haven't seen that around but I'll pay more attention to it from now on.

Enthusiast

Sounds delicious. I haven't seen that around but I'll pay more attention to it from now on.
    I paid about $90 for the bottle. But I decided it was a worthwhile investment, as it is a limited edition bottling. Mine is a late-2007 bottling. I think they will continue bottling this one through at least the end of the year... *crosses fingers*...

...hopefully...
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

Slumming tonight with Glenfiddich 12 yr special reserve. Not too bad for a cheap SMS. A little astringent flavor in the finish but I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Advanced Taster

Slumming tonight with Glenfiddich 12 yr special reserve. Not too bad for a cheap SMS. A little astringent flavor in the finish but I'd give it a 7.5/10.
    does this taste any different from the old bottling (did not say special reserve)

Connoisseur

A bit of The Dalmore 21 which I reviewed almost 4 years ago here
    Illuminati in training

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gov View Post
    does this taste any different from the old bottling (did not say special reserve)
    I'd say it's a little smoother from what I remember. In fact I was expecting worse. I hadn't had a taste in long while though. I finished the night with a nice old dram of Laga 16 so everything is alright now

Enthusiast

Yesterday I had some Glenrothes Vintage 1991. Love those Speysides.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain