Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 148 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 2424
  1. #1471
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,819

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Had a glass of Aberlour 12y Double Cask last night, quite different from the HP, I find it to be almost bourbon like, quite sweet from the sherry casks. Its not bad, but not as smokey as I like. Still just working my way through all the different types of single malts to find what I really like.
    There was a time when I only liked Speysides and HATED anything peaty/smokey. Then I acquired a taste for the Islay whiskies and couldn't get enough of the peat and smoke, at which point I turned my back on most Speysides, feeling that I had "graduated" to a higher level of single malt sophistication. Now I realize the error of my ways and find that there's room in my cabinet for all sorts of single malts, it just depends upon my mood. There's nothing like a Macallan 12, Aberlour DoubleWood or (even better) Aberlour 16 after dinner when you want something a tad sweeter or sherry-ish to go with dessert. So try to judge each one on its own merits and be careful about comparing one to another--Aberlour 12 and HP12 are apples and oranges by design. They're each rewarding in different ways, so enjoy them all!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  2. #1472

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Sometimes, I really enjoy the heavy peat, but I think most nights, I'm looking for something that's not as intense, and doesn't require as much "work". I don't always enjoy waking up to bacon and ash in my mouth. It's a bit of a cliche, but I've found it to be true that I prefer the heavier malts during the winter. I like the lighter whisky for summer and spring. In bourbon terms, as much as I like GTS, I don't really want to drink it every night. I need the variety to appreciate what I'm drinking on any particular night. I would be very sad with only one type of whisky.

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    There was a time when I only liked Speysides and HATED anything peaty/smokey. Then I acquired a taste for the Islay whiskies and couldn't get enough of the peat and smoke, at which point I turned my back on most Speysides, feeling that I had "graduated" to a higher level of single malt sophistication. Now I realize the error of my ways and find that there's room in my cabinet for all sorts of single malts, it just depends upon my mood.

  3. #1473
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,819

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by politely View Post
    Sometimes, I really enjoy the heavy peat, but I think most nights, I'm looking for something that's not as intense, and doesn't require as much "work". I don't always enjoy waking up to bacon and ash in my mouth. It's a bit of a cliche, but I've found it to be true that I prefer the heavier malts during the winter. I like the lighter whisky for summer and spring. In bourbon terms, as much as I like GTS, I don't really want to drink it every night. I need the variety to appreciate what I'm drinking on any particular night. I would be very sad with only one type of whisky.
    Very true, my friend. I sometimes sit down in the recliner in my music room and ponder what to drink and end up going through the same thinking process you just outlined. If it's a warm summer evening I tend to go for something lighter and fruitier, but if the wind is howling outside what could be better than a smokey Islay? That doesn't mean that I don't go for the Islays throughout the rest of the year, just that I generally prefer certain things at certain times and it's all down to mood. In fact, my brother recently gave me a near-full bottle of Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve because he's been on a peat/smoke kick and thought the G15SR was "lame." But after a very long day, in desperate need for some quiet time to relax and reflect on life, I reached over and poured a stiff glass of the Solera Reserve and absolutely loved the stuff--gentle, layered and quite complex in a subtle way. Just what the doctor ordered! I really believe he's missing out by shunning Speysides and other non-island whiskies but that's where his head is at the moment, so his loss was definitely my gain.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  4. #1474
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength last week.
    Never had it before and I was very surprised at the burn.
    A first ever for me concerning scotch.
    So I did what what Ralfy always does and added some water.
    I figure I cut it down to 95 proof from 112.6 and it is spectacular.
    Even at 10 years old it reminds me of their 18yo, but not quite as good of course.
    Oscar, what batch is this? I had a couple of bottles of the old 55.7% (non-batch numbered) that had a pretty good burn to them, but I just picked up a bottle of Batch #2 which if memory serves is 58.3%, and it's a lot less hot than the others.

    In fact I find myself not adding any water, or just a splash at most, to this one.

  5. #1475
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,406

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Oscar, what batch is this?
    Batch 002 Dec. 10
    56.3 alc/vol
    ovh

  6. #1476
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West of the Rockies
    Posts
    2,570

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Talisker 57' North, my favorite whisk(e)y of the moment, phenomenal juice!
    C

    "everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

  7. #1477
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    749

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    I had my first Talisker 25 a couple of weeks ago, alongside a Bowmore 25. Talisker killed that puny Bowmore!

    Yesterday I consoled myself after the Tigers loss with some Ardbeg Corryvreckan. After having mostly bourbon in the last 2 weeks, the Ardbeg slapped me silly but I loved it. However, I was kind of distracted by a sweet barley taste I pick up every other time I have Ardbeg. It tastes like an immature spirit. I know the Corry is a vatting with some young spirit, but I don't think it's that because I also get it in the standard 10 yr. Anyone else pick up on this?

  8. #1478
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massillon, Oh.
    Posts
    1,241

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I had my first Talisker 25 a couple of weeks ago, alongside a Bowmore 25. Talisker killed that puny Bowmore!

    Yesterday I consoled myself after the Tigers loss with some Ardbeg Corryvreckan. After having mostly bourbon in the last 2 weeks, the Ardbeg slapped me silly but I loved it. However, I was kind of distracted by a sweet barley taste I pick up every other time I have Ardbeg. It tastes like an immature spirit. I know the Corry is a vatting with some young spirit, but I don't think it's that because I also get it in the standard 10 yr. Anyone else pick up on this?
    I think Ardbeg has become a bit more sweet over the last few years. I thought it might just be me, but maybe they've changed something?

  9. #1479
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,819

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Switched gears and had some wonderful Irishman Single Malt Whiskey, a beautiful 10 year old that spent time in bourbon and sherry casks. Seek it out!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  10. #1480
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    749

    Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

    Could be - the guy in charge of Ardbeg and Glenmorangie offerings, Bill Lumsden, is open about being obsessed with wood type and vatting recipes. I don't think he'd be shy about tinkering with the standard expressions, or as close to standard as Ardbeg is capable of, considering how irregular their offerings are made available. I also heard the Alligator is sweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I think Ardbeg has become a bit more sweet over the last few years. I thought it might just be me, but maybe they've changed something?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Enjoying Whiskey writting and my Wonderful Dog Nikki
    By dave ziegler in forum History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 04:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top