Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 243 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Balvenie Double Wood 12. I really like this one. Very nicely priced as well at $40.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree. Very nice neat or to pick up any blended scotch (its relatively mild, full taste, neither peaty nor sherried, is perfect for this).

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I agree. Very nice neat or to pick up any blended scotch (its relatively mild, full taste, neither peaty nor sherried, is perfect for this).

Gary
    I taste the sherry notes in there but they are not nearly as overwhelming as in the a'bunadh. I love the a'bunadh but sometimes I have to kind of search a bit for some of the other flavors in there.

Guru

Dalmore 12. I'm feeling a bit scotchy late this afternoon as I'm waiting the wife to come back from the graduation of one of her coworker's son.

Connoisseur

I've heard good things about Dalmore, but it seems I can't get it around these parts...

I opened my bottle of Glenfiddich 15 last night. Wonderful whisky! Has about everything I look for in a Speyside. It starts off with silken honey and delicate, fruity sherry, not dominant as in The Balvenie, for instance. Then there is considerable boubon notes, plus a grassy, zesty licorice or root beer flavour, followed by some good spice and a slightly bitter, oaky finish. Very nicely layered and well-balanced.

Virtuoso

Started with The Balvenie 15 yr. I like it very much but I might give the edge to the 12 yr tonight. Now I'm on to a vatting of 1/3 Caol Ila 12 and 2/3 Lagavulin 16 (needed to kill the Caol Ila 12 and it was too wee a dram otherwise). The Lagavulin really overpowers and I can't tell any difference here with Caol Ila added... they're both real peaty so I didn't really expect to taste any difference either.
    Last edited by JamesW; 06-07-2008 at 21:19.

Virtuoso

Tonight I started with Talisker 18 and now enjoying a solid pour of Highland Park 18.... life is good with these two scotches.

Virtuoso

Just picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12 ($43). Love the HP18 and I'd heard great things of this one (won double gold at the SF World Spirits competition). I love it too. A little raspier than it's older brother but still smooth as hell. Very flavorful too. So glad I got it as now maybe I won't kill my 18 as quickly.

After the HP12 I'm on to another year old - The Balvenie Doublewood 12yr. Also terrific as usual. Picked a bottle of this up today for $50 as well to replace one I killed. I could have paid $10 less if I'd taken a ride out to another store but the 1.5 hrs round trip hardly seemed worth it given the heat and the price of gas these days. Might be cheaper soon to put HP in the tank !
    Last edited by JamesW; 06-09-2008 at 18:34.

Advanced Taster

A night cap of the Ardbeg 10. This is some good chit!!

Connoisseur

Damn, I want to try Ardbeg but they just stopped selling it in my province. I'm still surprised that I got into the Islays so quickly after really being turned off of them at first.