Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 151 of 243 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2424
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I agree, the 12 year old sherry cask was a little much for me but sometimes it hit the spot.

I'm enjoying some good ol' Glenfiddich 12.
    Have you had any of the others in the line? I haven't but I would like to try the one aged in bourbon barrels. I'm really looking forward to getting this one:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1068143

Connoisseur

Ardbeg Uigeadail. I found this really benefited from a splash of water. There is so much going on in this whiskey that somehow a little water quieted the yelling down and allowed the sherry and peat to play nicely together.

I really like this scotch, but I am thinking I'll be happy to replace it with the standard 10 year old when the time comes. I'm not saying it is better, but it is over $20 cheaper, and many of the same things are happening in the both of them.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Have you had any of the others in the line? I haven't but I would like to try the one aged in bourbon barrels. I'm really looking forward to getting this one:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1068143
    I've tried the standard 10 year old (46%), which is aged mainly in bourbon casks and some sherry casks. I remember being surprised by how robust and complex it was. I enjoyed it but also found it challenging.

I've also enjoyed Longrow CV and Hazelburn 8 year old from that distillery.

Connoisseur

Ardbeg Uigeadail again. Man, this is great stuff.

After years and years of bourbon being nearly the only whiskey I ever drank, scotch is nudging its way into my heart.

I may not being going over to the darkside, but I sure like having a vacation there.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    Ardbeg Uigeadail again. Man, this is great stuff.

After years and years of bourbon being nearly the only whiskey I ever drank, scotch is nudging its way into my heart.

I may not being going over to the darkside, but I sure like having a vacation there.
    It's time for a vacation in Scotland, Tom. Then there will be no turning back!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    It's time for a vacation in Scotland, Tom. Then there will be no turning back!
    Stop tempting a man of the cloth, Hank. Have you no shame!! I've been tempted myself to get this Uigeadail for a couple of months, since Christian was speaking so highly of it. Now, with Tom here loving on it, too...I guess I'll have to break down. I gotta tell ya' though, I was not a fan of the bottle of the 10 yr that I had. Very weak as compared to my favorite Scotch of all time--Lag 16. I dunno, maybe apples and oranges. Maybe, I'm just plain whacked. But, I'm looking forward to trying the Uigeadail. I think I'll slip down to the bar for a pour of that Lagavulin...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Taster

Laph triple wood...very nice 'n doing more than a dram!!!
    To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
    Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

Virtuoso

Auchentoshan Select (nas) 40%. Very unusual smoky banana nose, a little youngish hot. Peppery peaty sweet barley taste. Lighter, not as chewy as the 12 y.o., but still that got house flavor goin'. Nice longish finish. I like it.

... and upthread...thinking, ... the choice between Ardbeg Uigeadail or Lagavulin 16, two of the greatest Islays, probably the two greatest (imvho).. choose one and you can have it forever anytime free of charge, but the other will be struck from your world, never to pass your lips again ... which would it be?

... I've considered this hard for a few minutes, switched my answer two or three times, and right now, I think I'd go for the Ardbeg U. What a tough choice!
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Stop tempting a man of the cloth, Hank. Have you no shame!! I've been tempted myself to get this Uigeadail for a couple of months, since Christian was speaking so highly of it. Now, with Tom here loving on it, too...I guess I'll have to break down. I gotta tell ya' though, I was not a fan of the bottle of the 10 yr that I had. Very weak as compared to my favorite Scotch of all time--Lag 16. I dunno, maybe apples and oranges. Maybe, I'm just plain whacked. But, I'm looking forward to trying the Uigeadail. I think I'll slip down to the bar for a pour of that Lagavulin...
    Joe, I liked the Uigeadail okay (and most of Ardbeg's releases for that matter) but I consistently come back to Lagavulin. The 16 just has an overall profile and balance I find lacking in the current uber-peat environment. The old Laphroaig 15 may be another exception.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Enthusiast

Springbank 10. Loving this malt.