Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 163 of 243 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 2424
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Just chiming in to say that I really enjoy this thread. It's been the one that's taught me the most about the Dark Side. I just wanted to thank the regular posters here. I should post more often re: my purchases and likes and dislikes. Will try to do so.

That said, tonight Lagavulin Distillers Edition is doing battle against Bowmore 17. The Bowmore 17 was my first Scotch (relative) dusty (not sure how long this has been out of production, but not more than a few years, no?), and I still love it immensely. There's just an intense creamy, almost cream soda flavor to it. Invites certain comparisons to PVW in terms of body and sweetness. I realize how preposterous that statement is, but if you're by my bar, I can justify it! I've got a few stores where there are 5-6 bottles of this on the shelf and while I am dedicated to sweeping up bourbon dusties first, I do hope these Bowmore 17s wait for me. There's just something about the huge body and sweetness that makes it so uncharacteristic for an Islay, and what's reminding me of a wheated bourbon.

That, or I'm drunk!

Enthusiast

Lephroaig 10 and a Lagavulin 16 last night. I am just starting to "get" the Islays. Very good.

Connoisseur

Ardbeg 10. Not as multi-layered and rich as Uguiedal, but still nice.

I definitely prefer both to the Laphroaigs or Lagavullins I have tried.

Disciple

Lagavulin 16 is one of those "Benchmark" malts for me. Just about perfect in every way. The Distillers edition from 2008 was my all time favorite Lagavulin. 16 year old Lagavulin perfectly finished in PX. Mingles the smoke and salt nicely with the rich px.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Lagavulin 16 is one of those "Benchmark" malts for me. Just about perfect in every way. The Distillers edition from 2008 was my all time favorite Lagavulin. 16 year old Lagavulin perfectly finished in PX. Mingles the smoke and salt nicely with the rich px.
    Agreed. Lagavulin 16 is just a great whisky.

Another all time favorite of mine is Talisker. Both the 10 and 18 are excellent whiskies, IMO.

Connoisseur

Last night I finished off my sample of Glenfiddich Cask of Dreams.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    Lagavulin 16 is one of those "Benchmark" malts for me. Just about perfect in every way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Agreed. Lagavulin 16 is just a great whisky.

Another all time favorite of mine is Talisker. Both the 10 and 18 are excellent whiskies, IMO.
    Lag 16 really is a benchmark whisky and never fails to please. I'm excited to pull the cork on it each and every time! Talisker is another killer and has, at times, been my favorite island-produced single malt. But let me also throw Caol Ila 12 into the mix. It is a quality malt that is often overlooked but worth every penny in my book. Perhaps not quite on the same level as Lagavulin and Talisker but pretty damned close.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

At the house right now, I have the new Bruichladdich, the Laddie 10. It is good, but I don't think it deserved the Whisky Advocate award. Plenty of 10-12 yr that are better. I have a wee bit of Talisker Distiller's Edition left (not as good as the 10 year but I wanted to try it..). I have AnCnoc 12 year that I have buyers remorse about...had it about 9 months and not even half a bottle gone. Finally I have a Cadenhead's Highland 100 proof that tastes as if it is young Highland Park. Very good on the rocks!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Lag 16 really is a benchmark whisky and never fails to please. I'm excited to pull the cork on it each and every time! Talisker is another killer and has, at times, been my favorite island-produced single malt. But let me also throw Caol Ila 12 into the mix. It is a quality malt that is often overlooked but worth every penny in my book. Perhaps not quite on the same level as Lagavulin and Talisker but pretty damned close.
    I agree with you on the Caol Ila. I'm never without a bottle of it.

Enthusiast

Late night working. Broke out emergency bottle of Ardmore at the office.