Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 165 of 243 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2424
    Connoisseur

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

I just got a bottle of Laphroaig 18yr for 67bux. I tried this at a tasting a few weeks ago and had my mind blown. They told me its aged in used Maker's Mark barrels. So it litterally has a whisper of wheat. No wonder i liked it (big fan of wheaters)

Enthusiast

Is there a scotch out there that has a tobacco finish to it?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by awachatz View Post
    Do you mean tobacco smoke or cured tobacco? Some older versions of Talisker had a cigarette like finish. Otherwise look for peated distillate aged or finished in sherry. These tend to have notes of cured tobacco. Also older Springbanks (again, the sherried one) might fit that profile.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I just got a bottle of Laphroaig 18yr for 67bux. I tried this at a tasting a few weeks ago and had my mind blown. They told me its aged in used Maker's Mark barrels. So it litterally has a whisper of wheat. No wonder i liked it (big fan of wheaters)
    wow, thats a great bottle and price!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    ...and also when in good company!
    Mine sure wasn't free!

(I'm sitting and eating Turkey with Cranberry Sauce etc.; and have just opened my first bottle of Eagle Rare. Tried it neat before the meal, and was not over impressed. Now, however, as I enjoy it neat with the food and a bottle of Cricketer's Arms Lager, the total effectis lovely.)

To the point: As I eat, I am mentally opening my bottle - (No. 124 of 248) - of Aberfeldy Single Cask Highland Single Malt Whisky (Chris Anderson's Cask) 18 year old. AND then thinking, "No, you fool! Don't open it yet!!! AND abstaining.

Has anyone here had some? In the words of Monty Python: "Wassit like?!!"

Happy tippling all.
    "One Scotch, One Bourbon and One Beer!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by awachatz View Post
    I not an expert, but I don't think a single malt would have that flavor profile. Bourbon is mostly Corn and rye/wheat with a tiny margin of malted barely for it's enzymes. My suspicion is that the corn and barrel char/oak equate to tobacco (again I could be wrong on that.)

Now, with blended Scotch, anything goes if it uses an aged neutral grain whiskey. Also, it's possible that a faint hint of tobacco could be tasted in malts that are 20+ years of age (extracting the flavor from the used bourbon barrels). But you'd be investing in 200 - 1000 dollar bottles to get a flavor that 20 dollar bourbon can get you

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    Good price. I picked up 2 of those at duty free in Buffalo for $59 ea (Jan. 2012). I need to travel more
    Last edited by JamesW; 03-06-2012 at 22:14.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bourbon View Post
    Mine sure wasn't free!

(I'm sitting and eating Turkey with Cranberry Sauce etc.; and have just opened my first bottle of Eagle Rare. Tried it neat before the meal, and was not over impressed. Now, however, as I enjoy it neat with the food and a bottle of Cricketer's Arms Lager, the total effectis lovely.)

To the point: As I eat, I am mentally opening my bottle - (No. 124 of 248) - of Aberfeldy Single Cask Highland Single Malt Whisky (Chris Anderson's Cask) 18 year old. AND then thinking, "No, you fool! Don't open it yet!!! AND abstaining.

Has anyone here had some? In the words of Monty Python: "Wassit like?!!"

Happy tippling all.
    I haven't had the pleasure... although I know the self-control of which you speak. I have a number of collectables that cry out for opening....I have to slap my wrist each time....
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I haven't had the pleasure... although I know the self-control of which you speak. I have a number of collectables that cry out for opening....I have to slap my wrist each time....
    Whew, so i am not the only one O_O

Guru

Caol Ila 12 last night. Always impressive and truly delicious. That's an Islay with perfect balance!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet