Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 172 of 243 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 2424
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wee Dram are you enjoying now?

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    I cracked open a Laphroaig 18 the other night and forgot just how amazing this pour is.

Plenty of salt and iodine that marry beautifully with an earthy, peaty undertone. Balanced is the best word to describe this dram. Wonderful creamy and silky smooth mouth feel, something you just can't get from corn. A very satisfying SMS.

Froaig 18 is dangerously drinkable....
    Jealous! I can't find the 18 anywhere here. The 10 year is my favorite Islay.

Virtuoso

Just finished off a bottle of Lagavulin 16 - took 10 years to do it - but, oddly enough I think the stonger tastes in bourbon actually helped me to finally appreciate this scotch.

That said, might be awhile before I pick up another smack-in-the-face Islay....
    Mark

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Just finished off a bottle of Lagavulin 16 - took 10 years to do it - but, oddly enough I think the stonger tastes in bourbon actually helped me to finally appreciate this scotch.

The Lag is definitely good. I just think it's a little too expensive. Pretty sure I paid close to $90 for it here in KY.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    The Lag is definitely good. I just think it's a little too expensive. Pretty sure I paid close to $90 for it here in KY.
    It's $88.00 in Ohio. I love it, but, I'm finding it very hard to spend the money for it, when I can get three bottles of decent bourbon for that price.

Connoisseur
    Interesting.....I actually find the older Islay expressions much more tame on the peat levels. The additional time in the barrel seems to dull the smoky flavor IMHO.

Young Islays like the Froaig and Ardbeg 10's.....and all the Kilchoman's for that matter.....really have that Islay "bite" (as I refer to it). They definitely have their place in my cabinet but I really enjoy the additional complexity and balance the older expressions have to offer. Well-rounded and much more refined.

Both great depending what mood you're in.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Young Islays like the Froaig and Ardbeg 10's.....and all the Kilchoman's for that matter.....really have that Islay "bite" (as I refer to it).
    I agree with you - I consider those more "punch-in-the-face Islays"

Not sure the whole heavily peated/medicinal thing is for me ... but, I'll keep trying now and again. I was also gifted a Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Frankly, that one just frightens me ... it still isn't opened ... and probably won't be for some time!
    Mark

Taster

I agree with you - I consider those more "punch-in-the-face Islays"

Not sure the whole heavily peated/medicinal thing is for me ... but, I'll keep trying now and again. I was also gifted a Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Frankly, that one just frightens me ... it still isn't opened ... and probably won't be for some time!

Man the Laph QC is some phenomenal Stuff. Do not be afraid of the Froaig embrace it.

Funny I have a bottle ready to drop off for a buddy tonight, just bought a new house. Maybe I will swap it out for the Balvenie Carib Cask that I bought. Both are favorites of mine. But, your comment has me thinking that the QC does not have quite the appeal for the uninitiated that I thought.

Had a dram of the Glenmorangie Nector D'or and this is some impressive stuff. I have a bottle of Astar that I enjoy but, haven't had much else from them. They are really turning some interesting stuff out at Glenmorangie. Looks like I will need to start to give them a little more love and funding. :-)

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by GreggJ View Post
    But, your comment has me thinking that the QC does not have quite the appeal for the uninitiated that I thought.

Had a dram of the Glenmorangie Nector D'or and this is some impressive stuff.
    I've had the Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10, and while the peat/smoke is quite heavy it is that phenolically medicinal note, esp. in the Laphroaig, that puts me off. Both notes seem less expressive with age as MacinJosh said, and in my limited experience I would agree and have come around to the Lagavulin 16.

If your friend is not a big scotch whisky drinker (or whiskey drinker at all), I would go with the Nectar D'Or or the Balvenie - I think a Speysider would appeal to most, especially the ones with the nice finishes like the Sauternes, Sherry, or Carribbean casks IMHO...
    Mark

The biggest punch in the face islay I've had is Ardbeg Uigedail. Following closely behind is Laphroaig 18. If you haven't had the Uigedail, but love amped up peat that still has layers of complexity you should really go buy a bottle. Every time I had a glass I marveled at how good it was.

Virtuoso

I like the LE Arbegs like Uigedail and Alligator much more than their standard 10yo. I'm a fan of Bruichladdich's Octomores, but I'm afraid to say that I was really unimpressed with the Laphroaig 10yo and and Lagavulin 16yo. I did pick up a Binny's Duncan Taylor NC2 of a 13yo Laphroaig that is quite delicious. It just has a much finer point on the camphor/medicinal qualities that turn me off in the standard bottlings. Perhaps the higher ABV helps as well.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--